After a discussion with the oncologist on Bean's post-surgical check-up, Andy & I had to sort through 3 options.
#1. We could do nothing and lose Bean in a matter of weeks.
#2. We could do chemotherapy and get about 6-10 months.
OR...
#3. We could do 5 rounds of chemotherapy & additional supplemental medicine and get 1-1 & 1/2 years with the Bean.
It took a total of 30 seconds for us to land on option 3. And that was only because 29.5 seconds were spent debating if Bean would have a happy, healthy existence on chemo. (Strange pet fact: Dogs do not react to chemo the way humans do. She handles it way better - doesn't get violently ill, lose her hair, nothing.)
The worst part of the chemo (for me) was that Andy did her first round when I was out of town in Jackson. I wanted to be there for her so badly but we were visiting mom and dad. I really hate that I wasn't there for her. So I got this picture from Andy as he was taking Bean home after her first IV treatment. The vet said she did fantastic and Andy told me she trotted right out of the room like she was 4 (typical... :)
When I got home from Jackson, my sweet little fur ball was waiting for me.:) She let me give her kisses and snuggles. She never once complained that I wasn't there to take her home. She is much nicer to me than I deserve. The best part was how unbelievably healthy she looked. I swear you wouldn't know that she had cancer. She.Is.A.Superhero.
Bean completed her 2nd round today and this was her car ride home (I took this while at a stop light Mom, I promise.) She was as awesome and lively as ever. The only concern I have at the moment is that her stomach is completely messed up. She has been having accidents on the carpet this entire week, to the point where we have locked her in the kitchen (most times a failure b/c her real name is Hou-Bean-i) while I'm at work. This experience saddens/frustrates me b/c I know for a fact she is in great pain otherwise she'd NEVER mess on the carpet & I also hate that I have an infant rolling on the poop stained carpet. Stress and sadness all in one.
As scary and frustrating as all this is, Bean is doing great with her treatment. She is currently on antibiotics for her tummy and the chemo is making us very hopeful. In terms of attitude and ability, Bean 'exceeds expectations.' I feel awful that i am so often complaining in my head about how Bean's tummy is making me get up in the middle of the night or how picking her up from chemo treatments with two kids is stressful to juggle. Who am I kidding? Bean is the hero. She deserves credit and a medal. And frankly a national holiday. I'm so grateful that St. Francis cares enough for us to give Bean a fighting chance. We love you Fat :)



1 comment:
Bean.is.a.rockstar.
Post a Comment