Monday, February 10, 2014

Lucy at 1

I do love a well child check up :) The snow week we had right after her birthday ended up cancelling her original 1 year check up so I rescheduled it for Monday, February 3rd.  That actually worked out perfectly considering she was miserable all weekend with some funk that turned out to be an ear infection.  So rather than pay a ridiculous amount of money for a sick child visit, we got to squeeze it into our free well child checkup! (nice little 2 for 1 deal :)  Sadly, the next week we were not so lucky.

Lucy stats.  Please note that she, like her brother, is an overachiever in all areas :)  Atta girl Goose!  The one thing that did not occur at her check up were shots (not that I mind missing that.)  We were supposed to go back the following week for a recheck to see if her ear infection was gone and then get her 1 year shots.  Sadly, when we returned the following Wednesday (thank goodness for a freak snow day) she not only had a double ear infection but RSV.  It's a good thing we are veterans at that whole thing - breathing treatments here we come! (plus there had been a case of pneumonia at her school so I was more than happy to here RSV over that.)

And now, as a little recap of how awesome the Goose is at 1 - here's a fashion show of some of the fantastic outfits she got for her birthday with an update on her milestones :)
Eating:  Lucy is now up for eating any and all things.  However, that does not mean she likes everything.  For now though I am guaranteed to get her to eat the following:  cheese, yogurt, any fruit or veggie squeezy pouch, pasta, strawberries, puffs, cheerios, bread, pancakes, quesadillas, and nutrigrain bars.  Not the most balanced meals but every once in a while I can work in chicken or beef into the equation.  At school her teachers say she eats everything but I'm a little skeptical.  I think peer pressure is at work there.  She likes water, juice, and milk.  We are using straw cups now exclusively (I even threw my bottle stash into the recycling - I figured I can always buy new ones for baby #3) which unfortunately has made her drink less but she's still peeing so that's not too worrying.  Apparently she is not part camel like Jack and myself.  We will drink constantly like we are about to trek into the desert for months.  Guess she's not a thirsty girl!  Her food schedule looks like this: 6-6:30 is breakfast, snack around 9, lunch at 11:30, snack again at 2, and dinner at 5:30.

Sleep:  During the week, she wakes up anywhere from 5:30 to 6:15.  At school she takes one nap (ONE?!) right after lunch that lasts about two hours and because she is so exhausted from playing all day, Lucy is sacked out anywhere from 6:30 to 7 pm.  It's a rare night if she's not in bed by 7.  She will sleep from 7 to 5:30 unless she's sick (which has been the last two months).  On the weekends it's a different story.  I can get her to take an hour nap around 8:30 and then a good two hour nap around 1 or so.  I think she would sleep like that at school but the noise and activity level won't permit it.  There have been a  couple, glorious, wondrous, amazing, liberating days when Jack and Lucy have napped at the same time.  It's insane and I dare not speak of it too much for fear it disappear (i live in constant dread of the day Jack joins the rest of his age group and quits the nap).

Talking:  She can say the usual: mama, dada, hi, byebye, no.  A couple extras lately are "thank you," "more," and my personal favorite: "happy!"  I am longing for the day when she can tell me what is wrong, what she wants, etc but get such a kick out of this period in her life where every sound and word is a celebration :)

Other milestones:  Still not walking as of today, but we've gotten better at pushing up to standing when out in the middle of the room without support.  A couple steps here and there but nothing big yet.  She is pretty impressive with manipulating small things: taking the outlet safety plugs off, twisting tops off of baby proof vitamin bottles without my knowledge, turning my phone on and almost calling someone in another state (what area code is 253?).  Lucy likes to live on the edge.  She's also impossible to contain.  I've given up on trying to create baby cages in the living room (Andy is still in denial with this and each Sunday morning I see his latest attempt - which usually has a couple holes detected by the Goose.)
Favorites:  Getting into every drawer and cabinet possible, snuggling with her blanket and her seahorse, playing with her daddy, her mama arms (is it bad that I secretly love how she prefers me? Jack was never like that - he gladly went to anyone - but Lucy only wants me when she doesn't feel good or is tired or even just wants to be held), playing with her brother's toys, bugging her brother, chasing her brother, talking to her brother, basically anything that has to do with Jack, putting random stuff in her mouth, and mostly - being a very, very, very sweet girl.  Goose has changed so much this first year but I know from experience that this next year will be even more exciting to watch her grow :)


A little video of her first steps :)

2 comments:

hughesfamily said...

She can say "happy"?!?! That is amazing.

Lucy is adorable. It has been so much fun watching her grow on you blog and through stories Melissa told me and through texts with you. I am very jealous of the schedule...I feel like a slacker mom, because Reese just kind of eats whenever. I need to fix that!

Also, I never commented on your blog about her party- I mentally commented, because I am good at that, but I didn't actually comment. It is so funny to me, because you so nonchalantly threw out that you made chili and chicken tacos, and it sounds literally mind-blowing to me. Like how someone would say, " I learned Latin last week." I am serious. And, it made me think- it's the same for how I like parties and crafts. I can trying to make tacos is an impossible task for me. Basically, what I am saying is- I wish it were possible to form some sort of sister wife situation where I could just do parties and never, ever subject anyone to my food.:)

Happy Birthday, Goose!

Dotti said...

Great party!! Our Goose was amazing and adorable!!