Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Last Week

This week is a "last week" in many respects.  It's my last week of school, Jack and Lucy's last week of daycare, Jack's last week of swim lessons, Jack's last week of tball, and my last week of working with adults until I give that all up for 2ish months of being a stay at home mom.  Therefore, I decided that Saturday May 17-Saturday May 24th deserved its own post.
First up, Jack's last swim lesson.  For now.  He has had group lessons with Miss Allie twice a week for the past 8 weeks.  I'm super impressed with how far he's come.  He loves the water, loves swimming, loves putting his face in and attempting to swim to the end of the pool.  We still need a bit more training and I'm tempted to spring for the pricey private lessons mostly because I was assured by two different instructors (both former students) that it's more bang for your buck.  Plus, since Jack has a major crush on Miss Allie I'm pretty darn sure that 30 minute private lessons with her would have him busting his rear to impress her.  It was pretty cute that when we said goodbye I told Jack that it was his last lesson with Miss Allie and he called out to her and blew her a kiss.  Ladies Man.

 Lucy was pretty pumped about this last lesson status as well.  Sitting in a hot humid indoor pool area for 20 minutes twice a week was not our favorite thing to do.  But she's a trooper.  #secondbornhasnochoice.
 This last week also had lots of fancy Facetime calls from my parents...in Europe!!!!  All I can say is thank you Steve Jobs.  Thanks to him I got to Facetime with my folks in Paris, Munich, & Vienna as they embarked on their fantastic 40th anniversary European vacation!  I will post more about that later but can I just say I love my parents for one thing and one thing alone.  That they call their travel obsessed daughter who can't go more that 24 hours without speaking to her mom and check in with her.  Love you mom and dad :)

View from their hotel room in Paris.  Ridiculous.


This past week also involved the FHS graduation.  I will really miss some of the students from the Class of 2014.  High school has changed so much in the last few years.  The expectations and pressures put on kids these days to always do better than the last class is unreal.  I love being a teacher and truly love going to graduation and watching these kids walk across the stage looking so excited and nervous and unprepared for the future - as they should be!  It's so cool to see some of them who I had as freshmen become adults.  I really do have the coolest job.

  
One student I will miss is Izzy Kazmier - my Relay for Life buddy!  I only wish I could have been as awesome as she is when I was in high school.



This was also Jack's last week of tball!  (The second to last game is when the coach decided to do a team photo so this one isn't actually from the last game.)  I love my goofy little baseball boy.


 Jack loved playing baseball this spring and we will probably be signing him up for the fall as well.  (Mostly because I did not buy all this equipment for just 8 weeks! :)  But also because he really loved playing.  Does he understand the rules of the game? No.  Does he know where to take the ball when he manages to catch it?  No.  Does he know proper batting technique or how to throw a baseball properly?  No.  But we don't care.  Why?  Mostly because he's 4 and also because when I ask him every time we get in the car - Jack, did you have fun? YES!  That is all that matters.


 One of the perks of being married to someone who played competitive sports from age 6 to 22 is that Andy has an immense amount of perspective.  Believe me, I overheard a LOT of interesting parent conversations while at the tball field.  Parents who were obsessed about teaching their children how to play the sport correctly and be the best and make sure they didn't "screw up."  Andy told me multiple times in the car that being supportive and just being there is the most important thing.  Jack doesn't want to be barked at for 45 minutes during a tball game.  He wants to be cheered and high-fived and just to have fun.  If he falls in the dirt every time he goes after the ball, so be it.  If he stops everything he's doing to watch the train go by, so be it.  Bottom line, he had a great time at tball this year and if he wants to do it again in the fall, so be it :)
 
 This last week was also the week of the fevers.  Lucy, on two separate occasions, went to school perfectly fine and then two hours later - BAM! She had a fever.  I mean, seriously, look at this face.  Does this look like a sick girl?

Either way this girl got a half day with her daddy on Monday and a whole day off with him on Tuesday.  She didn't seem to care that it was Mommy's last week of school.


Lucy, the big faker, even came by on Tuesday to visit her Mommy and we brought her over to see Aunt Waychul!  Lucy, not liking to be unproductive, climbed right into Rachel's seat and got to work on her schedules for next year.

She tried to tell Rachel to hold all her calls, but sadly that didn't always happen.


"Hello?  Yes.  I'm very busy.  I'm gonna have to call you back.  ok..bye."

"Hold on, let me write this down.  Try to work in naptime into 2nd block next year.  ok, we're good."
Lucy was of course fine and back to school the next day.  Thank goodness that she's such a good helper :)

On the last day of school, Lucy received a very sweet card and graduation doll from her teacher Ms Angie.  When we return to school at the end of July, Lucy & Jack both will be in the next class up.  This is another reason why I love their school.  They have the best teachers :)

 This last week also involved the peak of our Spider-Man obsession.  Andy found Jack two more items to make his transformation complete.  Spider-Man sandals, hat, glove,sunglasses, and shirt (and underwear too but you can't see that thankfully :)  We now have a Spider-Man shirt for every day of the week.  I can only hope that his obsession lasts through summer.  We have a lot of apparel to go through!


 My last week of school was rounded out with a "congrats on moving into the building back into your old room, have an awesome summer with Jack and Lucy dinner" :)  I am officially leaving my trailer and moving back into my old classroom in the building.  It feels good to have my old classroom again but I'm not quite prepared for setting up another classroom.  Thankfully, dinners like this make that a less terrifying task.  Goodbye last week of school and hello first week of summer!!!

2 comments:

hughesfamily said...

Um, did someone make that dinner? At your house? I am completely jealous, and that looks definitely different than our grilled cheese.

I love Lucy at work....the one with the phone to her ear is hilarious!! She looks like she is seriously focused!

SO excited for you with summer!!!!

gloverfamily said...

I loved sharing the first season of sports with you!

Lucy is totally a faker, but that makes me happy. A girl needs to know how to get her own way every now and then! Way to go, Goose.

YAY FOR THE ROOM!!