This is honestly just a post to remind myself that there are really, really awesome days. And Oct 27, 2014 was one of them. Working sucks. Not because my job is miserable (I love being a teacher) but because I know every day that my kids won't be small forever and I am missing out on the fun stuff with them. (please note-I will not miss the power struggles and tantrums but I will miss just being around them and the silly things they do - like hugging Jack and telling him I love him just to have him turn to me and say, "I burped." That's the stuff I can't get back.:)
I have been dreading today since I got the email a week ago saying that Jack's rained out soccer game had been moved to Monday night at 6 pm. I immediately thought, "ugh - we may skip it because I really don't feel like doing a game on a Monday." But we did it. And it was a truly great day. A day when I am reminded that I love being a parent. It's hard as hell. Honestly, it really is. To the point where I wonder how my sanity will make it to middle school with them b/c I'm selfish and impatient and need to get a grip most days. But believe it or not, we really enjoyed our evening.
I picked Jack and Lucy up from school at 4:30. We ran through McD's and got Happy Meals for them - healthy I realize but whatever. (A cheeseburger will not be the end of them.) We took our meal to the park and had dinner on the picnic table while Lucy sat in my lap and Jack told me about his day at school. It wasn't rushed and I actually got to ENJOY my children. I watched them play on the swings and the playground equipment, then we changed into our soccer stuff and drove 1/8 of a mile down the road to the Y for his game.
Right before it started, Jack was practicing with his teammates and I was showing Lucy the chickens. I pulled out my phone and texted Andy that the game was about to start and we'd be home in 90 minutes when I looked up and saw him walking towards us. I had told him at the last minute that we had a rescheduled game and he drove after work to come watch - much to Jack's excitement :) For the next hour we cheered our awesome little preschooler on while he ran up and down the field - stopping every once in a while to cheer on his team or pick a flower and bring it to me. I think Jack's most defining characteristic is his tender heart. He is kind. And thoughtful. And I love that about him so much.
We chased Lucy around the field while cheering Jack on and when all was said and done, we drove home singing to songs on the radio and talking about our day once again. I got to snuggle both my kids to bed tonight and it was the best part of my day.
In the franticness that defines this world, I need days like this where I don't have school work planned, I don't have stuff to do when I get home, I just get to enjoy being a mom and hanging out with my kids. I need to work on having more days like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment