Time for a belly update. We are getting close here. As of Sept 17th, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and according to my WhattoExpect app, the baby is the size of swiss chard (weird). For my own documenting purposes, here's a quick list of things that have occurred, are occurring, or are running through my head right now.
At 37 weeks I was 2 cm dilated. As of today I'm 3 cm. But not really effaced at all. So we are a ways off. I had an induction scheduled for Sept 24th b/c last week I wanted to just be done. But after sitting on that thought for a week, I remembered how it was when I was induced with Jack. The induction part was awesome - I got popsicles, leisurely strolled into the hospital, and never felt a contraction b/c I got the epidural right away. But b/c I was aware of what was about to happen my blood pressure shot way up, they gave me magnesium to bring it down which wiped me out completely, and after Jack was born my blood pressure bottomed out, I started to hemorrhage, and for a little bit things got scary. I never have high blood pressure but I also know I am my worse enemy. So if I know what is about to happy for days leading up, I will make myself too nervous and I just didn't want to repeat that. So today I cancelled my induction. For now I just want to let it happen when it happens. Check back with me in a week and I could be cursing this decision BUT for now it feels right.
The one decision that I did make though that gives me some peace of mind is that I've decided to go on leave on Sept 28th regardless of what happens. I've emailed HR twice and called multiple times but have received no answer so far about if I can bump that date up 3 days or not. But tough crap. I'm doing it anyway. Plus I like the idea of having a couple days of the kids being in school to sit around and relax before my due date (now that I typed that I'm going to go in labor tonight. Just watch.) I will see how I feel at the next dr appt on Sept 25 and hopefully I will be a bit closer to delivering and not make it to Oct 1. But we will see. For now, this is the plan. To have no plan. Bottomline, they have finally hired someone to take over my post until the end of the semester and I am fairly confident the kids are in good hands. So if I can last just 5 more days at school, I'm golden. but that's saying a lot b/c as of late, I've lost the will to teach. My evaluation is done and taken care of and I just want to relax. But I can't. So this next week there will be no exciting lectures, fun activities, or amazing teaching moments with my students. It will all be about survival. And frankly, I could care less :/
How is the baby as of late?
Well, this kid is active. Still. Every night at 8 pm he/she begins doing somersaults. And will keep this up until 11 pm. But I'm still measuring perfectly. Baby is head down. And I'm officially pre-registered at the hospital so now when labor starts I can just walk right in and take care of business. Even though baby has dropped I can't breathe too well and I'm definitely waddling. This has nothing to do with size - even though I've gained about 26 lbs to date. It's the fact that baby is sitting so low I can help but walk around it. And my joints hurt so that doesn't help either. My feet have finally started swelling but that's just in the last couple of days. I'm running out of clothes to wear b/c either I'm too big or they are threadbare from being worn too much. But as weird as this sounds, I'm still enjoying being pregnant Every time I'm about to complain, I remember that I will never do this again. It is that perspective that makes me stop cursing the heartburn and the aches and the itchy stretched out skin. Well, for a little bit at least :) We finally decided on names a couple weeks ago and despite not everyone being on board with them (which is always the case with baby names) we still love them. If it is a girl, she will be named Margot Alexis (Margot is a nickname for Marguerite which is my Great Aunt Peggy's full name and Alexis is my middle name). If it is a boy, it will be Charles Kersey (We will call him Charlie and the Kersey is obviously because that's my family name. I love the idea that no matter what the gender is - this kid will have my middle name (Alexis before I was married and Kersey after I got married) and Andy's last name. It's a great way to honor both of our families.
Predictions:
Lots of people keep asking if I have any thoughts on what the baby will be. At this very moment, these are my predictions. Granted they very well may change by tomorrow but still.
Gender: Boy. But only because this kid was measuring big back in the 2nd trimester and my face is starting to get puffy.
Weight: over 8 lbs but under 8.5. God I hope.
Length: 20 in.
Hair: Bald
Overall: Perfect and healthy :)
I can't believe we are in the home stretch here. I know that in less than two weeks we will meet this little person and our family will be complete. But for now, even though my body aches, I'm tired, and I feel like labor is going to start any second - it is kind of fun knowing that for now it's just the two of us. I can have Margot or Charlie all to myself and don't have to share this baby just yet with anyone else. Our little time together is coming to a close and I've honestly enjoyed (almost) every second. I think this kid is prepping me though for eviction b/c as I'm typing mushy stuff about being giant and pregnant, he/she just stomped on my bladder as a reminder that labor and delivery ain't such a bad thing to wish for :) I love how this kid is keeping it real up to the end.

No comments:
Post a Comment