Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mr. 3 Weeks

Monday was a fun day because it was a doctor appointment day!  I thought the thrill of these appointments would have died down by the 3rd kid but no.  I am the kind of person that seeks validation.  Especially from a medical professional.  So Charlie went in for his 3 week appointment and to quote Dr. Jones (Dr. Fogle retired this summer so we are now switching to a different doctor - a very nice one too - in the practice), Charlie is "pretty darn perfect."  He really is :)  This kid continues to just make my life easier.

10 lbs?!?!  What a chunk!  Gotta love formula :) My blood loss and crappy recovery killed any hopes of building up a mlk supply (and let's be honest, I'm tempted to give myself a medal for not quitting after the first 48 hours) so Charlie is about 75% formula and 25% breast milk.  The only reason I'm not quitting completely is because I'm hoping that the immunities from the breastmilk will protect Charlie from his germy siblings.  For now.  And I'm still a little shocked by the height.  This kid may be the tallest one we have.  The head size doesn't surprise me whatsoever.  Good ole Brimer noggin :)

And of course I got the best news possible.  He can now go all night if he wants without having to wake to eat!  But, in classic baby style, he laughs at that concept and still insists on waking every 3 hours to eat a whopping 4 oz at once.  This kid is a hoss.  But a cute one :)

 These were his day after discharge stats.  I think my favorite part is just seeing his name written on the sheet.  He's really here :)

 But even though he's here I keep having deja vu.  Every time I look at Charlie I'm struck by how much he looks like Jack.  With the exception of the nose, they are pretty identical.  And the best part of this picture?  The pacifier! :)

 Lots of snoozing happening the previous week.  He was acting like a true newborn and sleeping quite a bit (not quite as much at night but hey, he's still pretty darn perfect.)

 I enjoy finding random things to put him on to sleep.  Like this giant freaking dinosaur that my parents bought Jack.

 Which is pretty fun for the siblings as well, except when they start running laps through the den and I panic about them crashing on top of their brother.



 Lucy is still OBSESSED with Charlie.  Every time I turn around she has climbed on top of him.  When I start in with, "Lucy no be careful!" she responds with "I'm taking care of him! I just love him so much!"  It's so sweet but very suffocating I can imagine.  So far though Charlie doesn't complain much :)

But give it time...


 Since he turned 3 weeks, we have had lots more awake time.  Lots.  I mean, A LOT.  He's not fussy at all but all I could think was he's gonna get bored with his lack of mobility pretty soon and then the fussiness will begin.  But I will admit, I like getting to see his eyes finally :)

 My sweet little man :)

 Best part of my day is after lunch when I've still got a little time before I have to get the kids, chores and errand are done, and Charlie and I can snuggle on the couch - on really good days we can get a little nap in together.  This is what I always wanted maternity leave to be.  This is what people mean when they say "Enjoy that baby."  I feel like when this happens I actually can.


 So far Charlie has exceeded my expectations for being an easy third born.  He is very consolable, a good eater, and an ok night sleeper.  I couldn't be happier with this little guy :)

1 comment:

hughesfamily said...

You are doing such a great job! You have 3 small kids and one of them is a 3 week old! It is crazy that he is here, and he is Charlie. It's like we have known all along he was a boy. How could it ever have not been Charlie?

He does look so much like Jack!! Deja vi babies are fun. Loooovee the ones of Lucy smothering, I mean, loving him. She is a great big sister already!