Saturday, March 19, 2016

Early March

I'm really starting to get frustrated with blogging.  Not because I don't like it - I love documenting my kids lives and I don't do baby books so this is all I have for them.  But three kids, a rambunctious puppy, a full time job, essay grading, housework, and basic exhaustion are severally interfering with my need to document their day to day things.  So until I get the hang of this three kid gig (or until my class sizes drop to the point where I don't grade 90 essays every 1.5 weeks) i have to be happy with these hodgepodge posts.  

To be fair, there are still pretty fun though :)

 My favorite recent event has to do with Jack and Lucy's sibling bonding.  Now, I see facebook and Instagram posts from people all the time about how much their kids love each other and how they get along so great.  All the cutesy pictures of their kids snuggling in bed and loving on each other are very sweet - saccharine almost.  And frankly, that ain't my kids.  They just don't get along like that.  Now we have rare moments - like the one above - in which they discover a mutual endeavor and help each other with it.  But these are RARE.  I explain this because I don't want to give the impression that my children are angels and behave in that manner towards each other.  They are normal opposite sex siblings who annoy the crap out of each other 99% of the time.  But that rare 1% is pretty darn awesome.  The other weekend, Jack and Lucy wanted to ride around in their jeep.  Jack offered at one point to teach Lucy to drive.  
 Well...she only ran him over a couple times.  The helmet she's wearing is a carry-over from her scooter riding a few minutes before.  Honestly, Jack really enjoyed his "driving school."

He even made an "open" and "closed" sign for it :)  Lucy, while I love her, is not exactly the best pupil.  She doesn't really listen too well and has a bit of a lead foot.


Here's a fun little video showing Jack's patience and Lucy's obsession with just looking camera ready :)


 Lizzi and I took the kids to the park one afternoon when it was springlike and flew a kite.  According to my sister, March is national Kite Flying Month.  Who knew?  I remember years ago when Lizzi and I took Bean to Cherokee Park to fly a kite and Bean managed to grab the kite string and run away from us for a solid 5 minutes - flying the kite along the way all by herself :)  Jack and Lucy got a big kick out of this and it had me humming Mary Poppins for the rest of the day :)

 Speaking of Lizzi, we had inservice on Election Day (Primaries!!!) and for the first time since we've been teaching in Knox County got to attend an inservice session together! Sadly it was on a very depressing topic - RTIsquared - BUT it was fun to be in an inservice with her.  Yay for sisters!!!!

 That week also happened to be Dr. Seuss week at both Jack and Lucy's school!  I failed to truly document this but I did get a picture of Jack on Wacky Wednesday (I think that's what it was called???) where he had to dress crazy.  He's trying to give me a crazy look here but it really just came off as bored. :)  I loved and appreciated his willingness to participate.  His sister screamed bloody murder when I told her she had to wear a green shirt on Green Eggs and Ham day....  She wore blue.  It was a compromise.  Not really...


 I love when it's time for Jack to bring home school crafts.  One week he came home with this self portrait and it seriously made my heart melt.  It's Jack with his "heart of gold" and there is something so endearing about his sweet glasses and red hair and mouth shaped perfectly to the point where I can almost hear him saying, "What?!"  This is one of those "keepers" that will make the documenting bin for years and years.

 And I think it's fair to say that minus the glasses and hair, his brother bares a surprising resemblance to him.  Especially with expressions :)

 Lucy grabbed my phone and snapped this shot one morning.  Just part of our daily routine.  Feeding the Charlie man, rushing to get everyone out the door, gloriously wearing jeans which makes work that much more awesome.   Charlie is continuing on his path to become the world's easiest, smiliest, most amazing baby ever.  I cannot begin to explain how much this kid has made our lives better.

Jack has become the king of making Charlie laugh.  We were on the way home one day from school and Jack was acting goofy in the backseat.  Charlie could NOT stop laughing and of course I took video (while at a stoplight of course :)
https://youtu.be/iWLzTUTYKxM

 Side note-some days after Mass, the kids will ask to eat lunch at Petros. I'm all about this.  Their kids meal is actually pretty substantial and I cannot resist a big bowl of chili and Orange Tea.  And yes, Princess Anna went to church with us that morning.


 After lunch, we went as a family to my happy place.  The garden section at Lowes.  To be fair, Andy was going in there for some sort of part for his watch machine.  I told him I'd just hang out in the garden section to kill time.  We walked out of there with a new forsythia bush and a Eastern red bud tree which Andy graciously planted once we got home.  This guy is very tolerant of me.  Have I mentioned that before?

 In our biggest news, the kids started baseball this season and LUCY BEGAN T-BALL!!!  Andy is assistant coaching Jack's team and so far he's been the one to take him to those practices (hence no Jack pictures.)  But I got to take Lucy to her first practice and it was very exciting.  She was pumped about having her own bat, helmet, glove (all pink).  We got so excited about her having the gear that we forgot to actually teach her anything about the game before going to practice.  She was very shy and reluctant at first (and it doesn't help that she's the only girl on the team).  And there were several times during practice when she wanted to quit or be held or not cooperate.  At first I worried if maybe we started to early but then I noticed that 3 of her teammates were being less cooperative than she was.  And I also remembered something else - it's freakin' t-ball.  The entire game is supposed to look like organized chaos.  And it's adorable.  She is super pumped about the idea of us cheering her on and watching her play.  She will probably have a game or two where she refuses to play or runs around in the field picking flowers or just sits in the dugout the entire time by choice.  But it's an activity, it's an experience, and it's not being trapped in my house.  Everyone wins.

 This is her idea of fielding.  Love her :)

 A picture of her running the bases.

And a video of Lucy running the bases.  This melts my heart.

After her first practice, Lucy and I went to dinner at Arby's to celebrate.  She was too cute and enjoyed this one on one attention.  March has been very good to us and I can't wait to blog about baseball games, playing outside more, and basically our really awesome life :)

1 comment:

gloverfamily said...

Lucy at tee ball!!! How is she such a grown up??!

Also, love Charlie looking so happy- he is so grinny!