Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mr. Mom


I'm starting to learn as a mother that whatever stressful or traumatic event Jack goes through, it is WAAAAY harder on Andy & me than it is on him. Case in point - Jack officially became a "daycare kid" this week by getting sick for the first time. But he wasn't just sick - we aren't talking the common cold people. I took Jack in on Tuesday for what I thought was allergies (considering the poor kiddo had major congestion and a raspy cough.) We walk out of there with a prescription for 10 days of antibiotics and medicated eye drops for a sinus infection! I was so distraught and upset by this turn of events. I cried in the car. I cried on the phone to Andy and my mom, I cried at the pharmacy (ok, that was actually b/c they told me it'd be an hour wait for his medicine. By then the tears where ready on cue and I think they were the reason my meds were ready in 30 min instead of 60. when in doubt, cry. Heck, it works for Jack!) It wasn't until I had been home for a couple hours before I realized - Jack isn't even acting sick! He doesn't have a fever, his ears aren't bothering him, and his appetite is normal! (by the way, he clocked in at 15 lbs 2 oz - love my chunk-a-munk!) So why am I all stressed out when he's obviously feeling fine?! B/c i've learned that's par for the course as a mother. I feel bad for getting so exasperated with my mom over the years whenever she'd stress out over the littlest thing with us kids. How was I to know that stress was programmed in? Sorry mom! :)
Picture of Jackman in the waiting room at the doctor's office. Doesn't seem sick huh? What a faker...





Then Jack got a real treat! B/c we were so stressed about him being sick, Andy stayed home with Jack on Wednesday. I spent the whole day worrying about them - was Jack getting worse? Was Andy doing ok with Jack all by himself? (this was the first time he'd had Jack all to himself for an extended period.) Will Andy get anything done? Apparently though, Andy is Mr. Mom. Not only did I come home to a happy Jack, but laundry had been done, Bean's nails had been trimmed, and the house was fairly straight. ?!?!?! I was expecting chaos! No offense Andy. But apparently he's better at this 'stay at home' thing than I am! I'm just grateful that he's able and willingly to do that for me - considering I couldn't take off the 1st week of school. Here's what stinks though - I still had work to do. So I sat on the couch and made my powerpoints for class. But everytime I looked over this is what I got.
"Moooom! Play with me!"





So Andy would distract him with something fun. Sure enough, 2 minutes later....





"MOOOOOOM!!!!" So pitiful. I think I sat in front of the computer for 30 minutes and completed 2 slides on my lecture. Not that I mind. I can look at this face all night :)

2 comments:

Dotti said...

It was always very hard on us when our babies were sick , esp. when you guys were so little you couldn't tell us what was wrong. You don't have to apologize to me for any of that, I wish I could spare you all the worry raising children can bring, but remember the joy far outweighs the stress :)

gloverfamily said...

This whole "working mom" bit is a little overrated for sure! The pic of him in the carseat is the CUTEST!! He is telling you that he is fine & not to worry....right!