Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Fat

Fair Warning: If you scoff at the idea of pets being children, this post is not for you.
This week has been a stressful week as a mom. One of my babies had to have surgery and it was scary. Poor Bean - a.k.a. The Fat - needed to have 3 teeth removed thanks to me. For the last 11 years I've let her chew on bones & rawhide never knowing that her small dog teeth have no business playing with these. So a very nice doggie dentist extracted 3 of her seriously broken teeth on Wednesday (thank goodness for snow days! I really wanted to be there to get her as soon as surgery ended). It was a scary afternoon - especially after I brought her home and she started gushing blood from her mouth. What I love about a vets office is that no one looks at you weird when you come rushing into the reception area crying hysterically about your baby needing help. Turns out she was fine but I was rattled nonetheless. And poor Andy was texting me every half hour getting status updates - he was a nervous wreck too. In true Beanie fashion, she was in good spirits for the rest of the day and slept great that night. And I'd say as of Friday she's back to her usual self. Amazing!





A snapshot of the Fat resting after surgery. Yes, we placed a pillow under her head and covered her with a blanket. She's a person remember? Perhaps the one comment that stuck with me the most after surgery was when the doctor told me we'd see a much livelier, happier, energetic puppy after this. I'm thinking, "How is that possible? She already acts like she's 3?!"




For more proof that Bean is Jack's sister and our daughter (not a dog), scroll down.

She helps me do school work. I was attempting to write a test and she convinced me this wasn't a good idea. I needed to pet her instead. Smart girl. :)




She helps her Daddy pick out recipes for us to try. This obviously concerns her since she eats everything we eat.




She watches SEC football. I'm still looking for a Bama jersey.





She's the ultimate babysitter. 3 things I love the most are in this picture - The Bean, Jackman, and the Boppy.




Makes sure he's getting proper nutrition - and is ready to step in if he can't finish his snack. This propensity for food is why she has the nickname "The Fat."





She even tries out Jack's clothes for him.






Here they are napping together :)






And if this is any indication at all of how Jack will be spoiled rotten, behold Bean's toys. This small pile that she dragged out (she figures if you don't throw the toy when she brings it to you that it must be the choice of toy and not our laziness) constitutes a small fraction of what she possesses. Don't believe me? I washed them all this morning and counted 29. 29! And she deserves every one :) I can only hope this stressful surgery gets us 11 more years with her. If so, we would be a very lucky family indeed.


p.s. After I posted this I noticed Melissa did a blogpost about her daughter Chloe. Proof once again that these furry little snugglers are children too :)

2 comments:

Dotti said...

The "Bean" is my first Grand-puppy, and the dearest sweetest little dog, a perfect sister for Jack. I'm glad she is doing well after all that trauma and she will be her spunky self again soon :)

gloverfamily said...

Yay for our daughters!!