

You know how there are things in life that you have no control over but you hope that your child appreciates it nonetheless? Kinda like "Thanks Mom for my never needing braces!" or "Thanks Dad for this awesome eyesight!" Well, one day I hope Jack (and future children) turn to us and say, "Thanks Mom and Dad for making me American." I realize I have no control over the fact that I was born to Kim & Dotti Kersey of Alabama or that Andy was born to Cheryl & Terry Brimer of Tennessee. Just as Jack had no say that he was born to Clare & Andy Brimer. But we completely appreciate the fact that we are citizens of this amazing country. And I realize that there are other countries, other circumstances, other beliefs systems that any of us could have been born into. I am incredibly thankful that we were all born into this one. Jack may inherit my poor eyesight, and he may get Andy's flat feet, but by the sheer grace of God, he has also been given the ability to call himself an American. As we commemorate the 10th anniversary of America's worst ever terrorist attack, an attack based solely on the fact that terrorists hated our democratic way of life, I hope Jack grows up to realize that living in the land of the free and DEFINITELY the home of the brave, is a complete privilege that he was blessed to receive. And something he should always be proud to defend, salute, and pray for.

Here we are getting ready to send off the Sky Lantern commemorating 9/11. Thank you to Elizabeth Blankenship for giving us a beautiful way to remember this day. :)
You know, given that Jack has red hair, alabaster white skin, and bright blue eyes, he wouldn't fit in with any other country to begin with (we are not mentioning France people ;) ). He's a born American :)
3 comments:
Very well done sweetheart!!This day always brings such an onslaught of memories and feelings-from heartbreak to anger to pride to disbelief. We live in a fantastic country and our spirit is indestructible-I want Jack to know that.
I agree with your mom, great post.. Plus on a side note, Jack is so cute....
Yay for America!! Also, Anderson would like to invite himself over to play with Jack's new train set. Thanks.
Post a Comment