As usual, we attended the Children's Mass at All Saints. Before Mass started, this is the picture I got of my kids telling me that it would be an awesome and insightful mass. Naturally, it was loosely controlled chaos, but to all the CEO Catholics who sat around us and gave us the stink eye (CEO = Christmas and Easter Only), I can only say that if you knew the church, you knew the section you were sitting in. Jack and Lucy ate lots of snacks, played with lots of toys, and actually got a kick out of seeing Baby Jesus in the manger in the end!
Widdi joined us for Mass and kid wrangling.
Family Christmas photo!
A little comparison from last year to this year. I can't believe how big she has gotten! She looks so much older :(
Widdi came over afterwards to open presents with the kiddos. Lucy got a shopping cart with play food - which she has promptly eaten - and Jackman got Hungry Hungry Hippos! He LOVES this game and we have already played it numerous time.
After a classy Christmas dinner of corn dogs and berries for the kids, they got to open the very last window on their advent calendar! Sarah Bast, Rachel's mom, bought a calendar for each of our kids and they have taken so much delight out of opening one each day. It seriously is the highlight of the day (and a great way to make them eat more dinner - "if you want your advent chocolate you have to eat two more bites of peas.") Here they are ripping into the little window with "24" printed on it.
We left Santa the traditional cookies and milk (forgot the reindeer food though- sorry Rudolph!) This is the first year that I've used this plate - which if it didn't have cookies on it would say "cookies for Santa" with little gingerbread men dancing around. The Christmas I was pregnant with Jack, one of my sweet students, Caroline, in my AP Psych class - the same class that threw me a surprise baby shower - gave this to me and said how she can't wait for Jack to lay out cookies for Santa some day. It really was sweet and I love that she was thinking of Jack even this far ahead. Later that night Andy gladly took large bites out of the cookies and drank the milk for me. He took one for the team there :)
I will forever love TBS for playing this movie 24 hours straight over Christmas. It ain't Christmas in my house until I hear the words, "Not a finger!"
Of course Andy delivered on Christmas Eve with a glorious fire.
And he made our amazing Christmas dinner - filet in puff pasty with sautéed green beans. (granted we didn't eat until 9:30 but that was because we were able to convince our children that the earlier they went to bed, the earlier Santa came.) It was so so good.
Santa came during dinner and we watched our traditional It's a Wonderful Life. George Bailey helped restore my faith in humanity and made me cry again and again. It doesn't get better than Jimmy Stewart people :)
The next morning, Jack woke us up at 6:30 - that is sleeping in. And we all snuggled in bed for a little bit until I asked Jack if he wanted to go downstairs and see what Santa brought him. Andy kept the kids at the top of the stairs until I was down there to catch their reactions. Jack, as always, delivered like no ones business.
Brand new monster truck
And a smaller Grave Digger Monster Truck
And a Minions Operation Game
Hot Wheels!
Lucy was more subdued.
"Why do I have new Peppa Pig toys?"
Jack found more hot wheels and legos in his stocking.
Lucy finally noticed her brand new bike.
Jack got more squishy sand!
She is a little too short for this right now but if I hold on to the back of her seat, Lucy does really well with her balance bike. Plus, I think she really likes wearing her Minnie Mouse helmet :)
I don't even know what he's opening. I just know he loves it :)
Captain America gear from Uncle John and Aunt Cristin
A Hot Wheels track from Gaga and Baba
Lucy ripped into her loot but with less enthusiasm. :) The only thing I notice about this picture is how dark it is outside the windows. It will probably be another 15 years until I see sunlight before I see tree lights on Christmas Day.
She got a Peppa Pig playhouse from BabaGaga. She LOVES Peppa and is constantly talking about George and Peppa. I wish I lived in the world of Peppa Pig. It truly is precious.
I also got her a soccer ball b/c let's face it. She's a 2nd born girl. She will have to do what her brother wants to do. Might as well have cute colorful balls to match.
Jack LOVED playing with his Captain America shield and helmet. I tried explaining to him about the historical background of Captain America and WWII and Nazis but he kept shooting me with the darts on the helmet. Maybe later...
For Christmas Day, we invited Mimi, Graddaddy, Adam, and Kate over for brunch! (It was more like lunch but since I'm only good at making breakfast casseroles I pretended it was brunch.) Plus, I get to serve mimosas.
Hooray for a Christmas spent with family!!!
Jack and Mimi!
We had such a good time visiting with everyone on Christmas Day. I can't think of a nicer, more relaxing way to spend this day: suspense at the thought of Jack and Lucy waking up and wanting to go downstairs, the glee of Jack standing next to my side of the bed asking if it really was Christmas, the joy that comes hearing him shout down the hallway at Lucy - "Lucy! It's Christmas! Santa came!", the anticipation of seeing how Jack and Lucy will react to everything, the fun of capturing every blurry moment on my phone, the slight annoyance that after an hour had passed I still hadn't made myself a cup of tea to enjoy and wake myself up with, the ensuing confusion that comes with trying to unpackage the toys Santa brought and finding batteries for the stuff he forgot about, the paper, tape, and trappings that need cleaning up, and of course, the fun of hosting family in our home to celebrate Christmas and the love and closeness this season brings. This was - as usual - a truly amazing Christmas.
My last shot of the night, Jackman asleep in bed with three monster trucks. He loved every second of this day. Lucy was of course happy too but I can't wait until the day when Lucy can write a letter to Santa about what she wants and see all of that stuff become reality. Jack has been my favorite part of this Christmas season. His excitement, exuberance, undying devotion to the idea of Santa, eagerness to sing Christmas carols at the top of his lungs, and mostly his love of the Christmas spirit gives new perspective to an old person like myself. Jack has been very much aware that today was Jesus's birthday and he made sure to point that out to me several times during the day. And he had so much trouble understanding why Santa, who doesn't know him, would give him presents. He feels like he won the lottery. I love the innocence of this age. The idea that someone would bestow gifts on you just because you are a good little boy or girl. And I don't want it to end. I love the wonder and magic of Christmas and every year with these kiddos makes it better and better. Merry Christmas everyone :)


























.jpg)








2 comments:
I love jack's face in every picture! He has the best expressions! We can't wait to play with his new toys!!
Peppa pig!! So fun! She looks precious on her bike, too.
The brimers were lucky to eat your yummy cooking!
Such a fun post. I love Christmas.
Also, Lucy looks so grown up!
Post a Comment