Monday, December 22, 2014

Fire, fun, and the parade

 Andy and I used to watch Game of Thrones and there's this line from the book (we only saw the show-pathetic) when they would look at the sky and say, "Winter is coming."  Well, I can confirm for you that winter has checked out and is definitely being a lazy booger lately.  Some days she feels like sleeping in and not showing up (hence the frequent soccer matches in the backyard)

And others she comes full force at us and requires the need for a fire.

To be fair, this is purely selfish.  One day I said to Andy, "I wish our fireplace worked.  I would seriously love a wood burning fire."  The next day he called a chimney sweep and before I knew it, my super sweet and thoughtful husband was buying firewood, getting a new screen from Lowes with equipment to match, and constructing raging infernos in our den simply b/c I waxed poetic about the fires I remembered as a kid.  My dad could build a good fire but my grandpa was king.  We'd be in Caruthersville for New Years and something akin to the Burning Man festival would be happening in the hearth in their den.  The heat hit you in the face when you walked in the door.  And it was glorious.  That being said, if a Kersey ever asks you to "joe the fire" it means go at it with a poker.  I did not know until I was in high school that this was not part of the vernacular.  If you need clarification, ask a Kersey.

When it comes to delivering on simple comforts - Andy is the king.  Is he the guy who will surprise me with a fat diamond necklace on Christmas?  No.  Not because he's a grinch or cheap.  It's because he knows deep down that's not what I want.  Instead, he researches how to build a fire online, tracks down a good place to buy seasoned firewood, and spends a week perfecting something that I can only describe as an art.  I know there are 3 presents sitting under the tree for me right now that he bought but the funny thing is that he already gave me my favorite gift ever.  A warm fire to cozy up to.


As winter/Christmas creeps toward us, we have embraced this last week of school.  It's been hectic but we always have time for a selfie.

 On a funny note, I ran to Turkey Creek to get a gift card for my dad while the kids were still in school (our benevolent Superintendent let us out at noon that day.)  I happened to be on the phone to Melissa and she mentioned that she was on her way to Turkey Creek to get a gift card for her mom.  Long story short - I got trapped in the parking lot traffic scenario from HELL (I literally moved 5 car lengths in 30 minutes) and was never going to get that damn gift card.  Melissa managed to park on the opposite side of Turkey Creek, run to get her gift card, then run to my car, sit in it during traffic while I ran to get my dad's gift, and moved probably a total of 5 car lengths by the time I got back.  I can only imagine what the people around us were thinking but you know - that's a good friend right there. It is the most bizarre shopping experience I've ever had and perhaps the funniest.  Thank you Melissa :)

The following Saturday we made our way to Morristown for the annual neighborhood Christmas parade!!!  We brought the wagon this time (live and learn.)



 Jack totally loved meeting Santa!  The energy and passion he puts into the belief of Santa is perhaps the highlight of this entire Christmas season.  He really, honestly, with all his heart, believes in St Nick and is so concerned (still) about Santa getting his letter.  And I think what I love the most is that whenever he talks about how excited he is about Christmas and Santa and presents, he will stop and say, "Oh!  And Jesus! I can't wait for Jesus's birthday.  That's why we have Christmas."  The Catholic guilt is strong with this one. :)

 Lucy was terrified of Santa which was a little hilarious.  I tried to get a selfie with Santa and all you can see is Lucy giving Santa the stink eye.

We helped to head up the parade with the fire truck - naturally.


 My kids rocked the awesome spread at Sally Morrison's house later.  I really think this is the neatest tradition that we get to do.  Mimi and Granddaddy's neighborhood is old school - everyone knows each other, they all keep up with each others children and grandchildren, it's just a fun time had by all.  As usual, I didn't take adequate photos and I'm annoyed but I'm hoping that as the kids get older my picture taking ability/opportunity will improve.

Then again, I do get sweet ones like this from time to time :)

1 comment:

hughesfamily said...

Andy gave you fire. I love it, and that is much more romantic and thoughtful than any diamond ring!

The Turkey Creek story is my favorite. Cracking up. That is so funny.

The last one of Lucy is so precious! But, I also really like the selfie of the three of you!

I am so sad I missed out on seeing your cute kids! I feel like I know them perfectly from the blog and from Melissa's stories, and I was actually hoping to see them yesterday if I made it to Knox in time. But, thank you for taking Lily and being so wonderful to her. She had a great time and told me all about it. I am so grateful, because it was a rough few days, and I am so glad Lily got some extra love from you! Thank you for being part of my village. :)