Back in October, I bought tickets to see Hozier in concert at the Ryman (for those that have never heard of him - he's a Irish Rhythm and Blues singer with an awesome voice and equal awesome songs.) I told Andy (who had never heard of the guy but is always game for a concert at the Ryman) that we were going and quickly called my parents to see if they'd meet us in Nashville and take the kids back to Jackson for us to enjoy a night out. And because Fate REALLY loves me, it happened to be the first Saturday of my Spring Break so I could go on to Jackson the next day to spend the next few days with my parents. So I've been looking forward to this night for probably 5 months now. And this past weekend, it finally arrived. Expectations were exceeded and then some.
After checking into the hotel (off Briley Parkway which is nowhere near downtown but that's what I get for attending a concert during SEC tournament time) and leaving our kids in the hands of grandparents, we do the first thing that a childless couple would do.
Go find someone else's baby and snuggle him!!!! This is Brooks. Last time I saw this chunk he was a tiny newborn. Now he's a person! With chubby little thighs and smiles and everything! I was hoping Rebecca's babysitter would cancel and we'd have to take him to dinner but alas, no such luck. How stinking cute is this kid?
We enjoyed a nice leisurely dinner with Steven and Rebecca (why does she look so great with a four month old? I'm pretty sure I looked like death warmed over for the first two years of Jack's life.) They are totally rocking at this parenting thing and I'm uber impressed with how laid back and go-with-the-flow they are. This is a key part of parenting that I didn't pick up till kid #2. Also, watching your friend become a mom is one of the coolest experiences. I've known Rebecca for over 20 years and it's so fun to see how our friendship changes and evolves with the years. We've been single ladies together, newlyweds, and now moms. Needless to say, Rebecca is a fantastic mom and Brooks is one lucky kiddo :)
Andy and I headed to the Ryman in time to see George Ezra - awesome opening act. I've downlaoded his album since the concert and it's pretty fantastic.
Waiting for Hozier!
Some day I'll learn to take good pics with my phone. Hozier sounded amazing and I was in heaven. Every song sounded like he was playing in the studio and I would see him again in a heartbeat.
And even though we were in the balcony, our seats still rocked.
So as we were driving home from the concert, Andy and I were talking about what we would do on Sunday before driving in opposite directions down i-40. I thought, "eh. we can sleep in, get brunch I guess, maybe hit the mall at Opry Mills before leaving." Nothing exciting. Then we passed the exit to The Hermitage. I thought, "Hey! I've always wanted to go but didn't want to visit with two children in the car. Maybe they are open tomorrow?" Andy was a little skeptical of them being open early enough on a Sunday morning so I did a quick google search and what should appear on the screen? MARCH 15TH IS ANDREW JACKSON'S BIRTHDAY!!!!! His birthday!!!! So not only were they open at 9 am but had a slew of fun activities planned for the day!
Having children who are early risers finally paid off. We were up, showered, breakfasted, and checked out of the hotel by 8:30. Without an alarm. Not bad if you ask me. We got to The Hermitage at precisely 9 am and no one was there on this absolutely gorgeous, warm, sunny day. We had the plantation (kind of) to ourselves which was amazing.
And yes, I posed with The General and his wife :)
I geeked out fully while there. Andy got a kick out of the artifacts and the history of the entire place.
And now I have a new title slide for my Age of Jackson PPT.
Go ahead and call him a genocidal maniac. And I'll call you a myopic fool who doesn't understand historical perspective.
I took a picture of this and sent it to Melissa. I knew she would appreciate it :)
After touring an exhibit, you got to write something you learned about President Jackson and post it on the wall. I realize this is supposed to be for little kids but I figured they needed my input.
Because we were so early in the day, we got a private tour of the mansion! No pictures were allowed inside and normally I would have tried to sneak something as part of a large crowd but that was kind of hard considering we were a captive audience for the tour guides. I did learn though that 92% of the furnishings, flooring, and wall coverings are original to Jackson's time there.
Hermitage Selfie! I was pretty pumped (and that's an understatement.)
The original log cabin at The Hermitage.
The General and his wife. later that day, Andrew Jackson VI (his last relative and a Knoxville resident!) laid a wreath on his grave and then they had a birthday cake celebration. We were long gone by then but still. Not a bad day to visit :)
After the mansion, Andy and I played some mid19th century games on the lawn. I think this one is called Graces and you have to toss a ring to the other person on two sticks. Andy is, if anything, a good sport and very tolerant of his wife's weird requests.
We also got to try some Jackson Era hot chocolate - not bad if you ask me. And then they had a little gardening center where they gave away basil seeds and zinnia seeds. So this year I will have Hermitage flowers in my garden. Sigh :)
Finally, we rounded out the weekend with a little lunch at the cafe in the museum (which was very tasty.) That 24 hour period flew by but I felt so relaxed, rested, energized and Andy and I both agreed we needed a night out (and morning out) to ourselves to enjoy just being a couple. I had such a blast with him and this made me realize we need more of these nights out. :)




















1 comment:
Good for you guys for enjoying a night out!! Very well deserved!
Also, love all of the Jackson pics- SO cool!!!
Post a Comment