Friday, March 27, 2015

Jackson Spring Break 2015

In our annual tradition, we headed to Jackson for a few days to enjoy some BabaGaga time.  As noted in the last post, Jack and Lucy actually went up a little earlier on Saturday so Andy and I could enjoy our night out (and morning out) in Nashville.  And, as usual, I got 5,000 "are we there yet?" questions as we were approaching Exit 201 and two kisses of indifference as I passed them off to my parents after lunch at Chick Fil A - this is to be expected. :)  Lucy, the child who clings to my leg and repeats 20 times a day "Mommy hold you" doesn't even bat an eyelash when I tell her that she's going to stay with Baba and Gaga for the night without me.  I'm pretty sure at one point she absentmindedly waved a hand at me and said, "yeah ok."

 Riding down I-40 on the way back.  I know I have already said this but I'll say it again.  I. Love. Our. Van.  The space, the ease of travel, the cup holders, the sliding doors, it just doesn't get better.  Don't be put off by Jack's face though.  He was totally into Big Hero Six while Lucy was into crushing Ritz crackers into her car seat.  Toddler priorities.


 Hurricane Lucy making her way through the den.

 Jack, of course, cozying up with his brand new Grave Digger truck.  Pretty sure we left that week with 4 new monster trucks.  Which is a relief because he only has 15.

 Safety is of the utmost concern at my parent's house.  Which is why Lucy often hangs out on top of the counter.

 A rare moment of Lucy in a chair.

 Once again, my children made a beeline for McGee and stalked her for the rest of the week.  Sometimes I think McGee sees us coming down Channing Way and tries to jump the fence to freedom.  She often needs a vacation from our vacation :)

 On a pleasant note, Spring came while we were in Jackson!  We enjoyed sunshine and 75 degree weather for most of the week.


 There was lots of swinging.
 And flower (weed) picking.

We also took lots of walks.  I love this one of our shadows holding hands :)  Lucy is my little buddy on these adventures.

 As usual, it was also St Patrick's Day over Spring Break!  Mom bought the kids new green shirts (and they both got new crocs!  Thank God It's Croc Weather) for the occasion :)

 Two of my favorite men :)  When did Jack become a big kid??? I don't like this.

 My attempt at a family St. Patrick's Day picture.

 And yes, I forgot to bring a green shirt.  At least I gave birth to a leprechaun so I think that exempts me from any pinches for the rest of my life.  Right?

Baba made pancakes and no one played with his or her food.

 And in a fun, last minute surprise, Jenny and Maddie (Miss Moo to all of you) came by to visit!!!  It was so good to see them.  Maddie was sleeping in her stroller at the zoo last time I got to see her and now she is walking around and saying words and everything.  It's crazy!  Lucy was of course fascinated with Moo and tried her best to corral/play with her.

 At one point Jenny had to change Maddie's diaper in my old bedroom and we both had this surreal moment of reflecting back on high school days when we listened to Aerosmith CDs and talked about one day going to Boston College and UT Austin.  Now we have babies and are changing diapers in that same environment.  It's just so weird and so awesome all at once :)

 The sunshine stayed with us long enough to enjoy some hopscotch.

 And lawn mowing.

 And of course, practicing baseball with Baba :)


 Lucy was in true form that entire week.  I'm alway surprised by the differences in personality b/t Jack and Lucy.  Jack is probably the most easy going kid ever.  Yes, he has meltdowns and tantrums and his temper will flare up, but I can generally get him to see reason about things when they don't go his way or talk him into doing what I want to do and still have a good attitude about it.  Lucy...is NOT easy going.  She is hilarious, loving, kind, and the spunkiest little girl I could have ever hoped for.  But she is also fiercely independent and stubborn as a mule.  She wants to do everything herself and if she doesn't get her way or I try to do something for her, she will make you wish you could go back in time and do it differently.  Thankfully, her "snap out of it" period is fairly short but there's never any warning of when the next meltdown will occur.  I try to attribute this to her being 2 but I'm also not an idiot and know that this is just her personality - and she's also smart as a whip.  The above picture is an example of her being too smart for my parenting tactics.  I placed her in time out because when I told her to stop biting McGee's tail she spit at me and slapped my face (yup, she does that.)  So I put her on the church pew and told her that she was in a time out.  She pouted for a second (as seen above) and then told me, "I don't care. I can just sleep."  She then proceeded to lay down and close her eyes.  Awesome.  Thanks for making time out useless Lucy.  I love her to pieces but I foresee lots of stand offs in our future :)

 Thankfully, McGee forgave her for the whole 'biting her tail' thing.

 Of course, we had a blast in Jackson and BabaGaga can't wait for more time with the kiddos this summer when I travel to Europe with students.  I have told them to rest up :)  I'm lucky that we have such awesome family willing to love and watch my kids.

 And I hope that they took me seriously with the whole "rest up" thing :)

 Because they will need it.

That includes you too McGee :)

3 comments:

Dotti said...

Loved every single moment with Jack and Lucy and can't wait to do it again!!! They are just perfect!!

hughesfamily said...

You did give birth to a leprechaun! How awesome!!! He is precious in green!
Oh, lucy. Why are girls so diva?!? I gave up on time out by the time lily was 2 1/2 because it just didn't work and was driving me crazy! She is hilarious. I know you realize this, but you will be so grateful for her independence and strong will one day. LIly was so exhausting as a 2 and 3 year old (and even 4)... But now I am so grateful she never lets anyone walk all over her. Lucy will stand up for herself!

gloverfamily said...

The comment about birthing a leprechaun...cracking up. Also, Lucy asleep. Ha ha!! That girl.

I love all of the pics and I know everyone had fun! I Always wish I could sneak into a Jackson visit!