Monday, July 27, 2015

Glasses

 For the past few months, Jack has been complaining of headaches.  Because I was birthed by Worst Case Scenario Dotti Kersey, my immediate assumption was, "Oh my God, brain tumor.  How do I convince the doctor to give him an MRI at the next visit????"  But then, cooler heads prevailed and I wondered - maybe it's his eye sight?  Or allergies?  Well, on a whim I scheduled him an appointment with his eye doctor (he hasn't been in a couple of years) just to check.  And sure enough, the kid needs glasses.  Turns out this handsome little man is far-sighted (which I call genetics BS b/c I am near-sighted so I'm not completely claiming responsibility for this here....even if Andy has 20/20 vision.)  The appointment made me a little nervous and skeptical - I wondered at times if Jack didn't see letters correctly because he was nervous and mixing them up.  Also, I was super nervous about the glasses decision since I had a freakin Toddler Tornado ripping everything off the wall as I was trying to help Jack pick out a pair that looked good.  Which is why we came out with the ones above.  A little hipster-ish but super cute and they do indeed fit his face perfectly.


It took a week before they were ready but come Monday we were pumped.  We had been building up the idea of glasses with Jack for the entire week leading up to this - I didn't want him to be upset or worried about anyone making fun of him.  Not that they would too much - I see so many kids in glasses these days I'm starting to wonder if they are trendy or something. 




Not that I needed to worry of course.  Check out my little stud.  We went to celebrate with Widdi at Chick Fil A afterwards and he promptly received his first lesson in glasses etiquette when he placed them on the concrete, lens side down, at the playground.  Thankfully, since he is far-sighted, he does not need to wear them when playing sports or horsing around on the playground.  I'm hoping that this will prevent the need for replacements for at least a few months (thank God for warranties).  Plus, the red hair and glasses reminded me of someone very important...



Who doesn't love Sherman???  And now Jack has his own Mr. Peabody with Pretzel.  It's almost too perfect :)


 He was sure to test them out immediately with some TV.

 And video games.  We also made a trip to the grocery store and I asked him if he noticed a difference when he looked at letters on the signs.  He said, "Yes.  When I don't have them on, the letters look darker (blurry maybe?).  But when i put my glasses on, I can see them perfect!"  Whew.  That's a relief.


 Only cool kids wear glasses.


Didn't you know?? :)

I mean, it's obvious isn't it?



So far he's really enjoyed them and has taken good care of them.  I think it makes him feel a little special which I like :) I knew that given my genes this day would come.  Not this soon of course but better late than never.  I think I got mine in the 4th grade and this was after complaining that I couldn't see the board well.  I'm hoping this does the trick with the headaches.  He's complained of headaches a couple of times since getting the glasses but I'm hoping this is from adjusting to them.  Either way, he does love them and in my personal opinion, looks damn cute :)

3 comments:

gloverfamily said...

He looks awesome! So glad we got to see them in person! Welcome to the coolest club in the world, Jack!!

hughesfamily said...

. Because I was birthed by Worst Case Scenario Dotti Kersey, my immediate assumption was, "Oh my God, brain tumor. How do I convince the doctor to give him an MRI at the next visit????

Cracking up. Like, I can't stop laughing, because I totally relate.

He is so cute. The glasses were the perfect choice! I really love those frames on him. Sherman and Pretzel. perfection.
This post makes me sad that none of my kids wear glasses, yet!

Dotti said...

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!! He looks adorable !!!!