Obviously we are getting close here. In terms of room, I'm running out of it in my belly and Lucy's future one is almost ready. As we approach February 4th, I'm starting to get a little nervous about what "2" really holds for us. 2 kids (I almost want to add human in front of that b/c we can't discount the Bean!) I feel like it was easier for me to imagine our lives with one child than with two. This upcoming scenario is so much harder to predict and picture in my head. Mostly because I don't know what the dynamic will be like for the new siblings. Jack will have a little sister, someone to share the attention with, someone to play with (in a year or so!) and someone to protect and love with all his might. This house will experience less sleep, less sanity, and less cleanliness. But it will also have more noise, more toys, more chaos, and frankly more fun. It will be the ultimate challenge in multi-tasking. We will be filling sippy cups and bottles simultaneously. Washing crib sheets and twin sheets together. Mixing blue and pink in the laundry basket. Alternating between Cars and Cinderella in the DVD player. Having tea parties and drag races on the living room floor.
I also think to myself, "How does it get any better than Jack?" Jack is seriously awesome. He is a red-headed ray of sunshine. I look at him sometimes and think my heart is actually swelling in size with how much love I have for him (similar to The Grinch but without the need to commit grand larceny in Whoville.) And I wonder, will it be the same with Lucy? Is there room in my heart for her too? Obviously that answer is a huge, big, fat, glaring YES! But what I can't wrap my brain around is how on Earth the human heart has the capacity to feel this much love. I mean, I already love Lucy. I've loved her from the moment that little stick read the words - "pregnant." But anyone who has kids knows that you really start understanding that emotion when you get to look at their little face wrapped in your arms. And OBVIOUSLY it's possible to care the same for your 2nd born as much as your 1st. I mean duh. I'm the 2nd born! ;) But I just marvel at how God made us capable of loving so much (I'm totally not trying to be gushy and religious here. Just perhaps a tab bit hormonal...)
I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am that we are having a little girl. I'm very nervous in the fact that I already know what to expect with a little boy and have no clue what to expect with a little girl - let's be honest, no one embraces the unknown without a little bit of nervousness. It does feel a smidge like starting from scratch again. However, having "one of each" is not necessarily the part I celebrate, even though that is what people say to me the second I tell them about Lucy. Frankly I think that's kind of silly. Having two children period is pretty awesome, regardless of gender. Yes it's cool to have 2 boys so they can be brothers, or two girls so they can be sisters, but it's also cool to have a mix because the brother/sister dynamic rocks as well. Let's be honest, no matter which way you spin it - you've won the lottery! (Unless your child is a hermaphrodite - then I can't help you with the optimism there...)
I guess what bugs me though is that another common chorus from the masses that keeps greeting me is this, "I'm just gonna warn you, my little boy was SO much easier than my little girl. Girls are just drama, drama, drama!" I have heard this repeatedly from people I work with (not my department but random teachers who I've never actually spoken to until I became pregnant.) I get annoyed by these people b/c #1. I'm usually in the middle of copying stuff and they make me lose count in the middle of it all & #2. Why would you "warn" me about my own child? Have you met her or something without me knowing? It would be the same if I warned someone, "You're having a boy? Oh my lord, be ready for the ridiculous bursts of energy and the ability to throw things all the way across the room. Oh and the dirt." I mean, I'm a girl and according to my mother was a perfect angel :) Yet my sister, though I love her, was the queen of drama and tantrums when she was little. Both of us girls, both of us completely different. It's a bit ridiculous because the children that I know and love or whose blogs I stalk are more than just their gender. (Don't misunderstand, I realize the boys and girls DO have certain tendencies that are universal but I hate it when virtual strangers try to stereotype my own unborn child. My friends can do that - just not Mrs. What's-Her-Name from the Math Department.) Bottomline - both genders have their challenges and both genders have their perks. I am thrilled I get to experience them all. But I definitely don't want to start out Lucy's life with preconceived notions of how she "will" act. I'll leave that unknown drama for middle school :)
And now without further ado (or rambling), here is Lucy's room! We have decided to keep half of it the guest room for two reasons - 1. It allows me to sleep in there during maternity leave without worrying about waking Jack or Andy and 2. Babies don't care if they get their own room so why lose a spot for guests? Plus we can easily make it a requirement that all guests must get up with Lucy in the middle of the night as payment for room and board :)
Her crib :) I went with flowers b/c they are cute and feminine without being too over the top girly.
This is Lucy's going home outfit! Corduroy pants and a ruffled top and then a fleecy jacket from Gaga. Can't wait!!! It's all so tiny!!!
Dresser/changing table....that needs to be centered again. Dang it.
A little storage for the numerous books and toys she will acquire.
And thankfully this room was big enough for us to fit the glider in there as well. We are ready for you Lucy Goosey! I think?! :)





3 comments:
Love the room and excited about the possibility of sharing her room :)
AAAAGHHH!! That is all I can say!
I lied. I have way more to say. Who am I kidding?
She is already perfect. I can't wait to meet her! Love the bedding and the shelf/storage thing (does that have a name?)
I cannot wait to see what she & Jack are like running around together. It is going to be precious and amazing!
Post a Comment