Thursday, May 16, 2013

Happy Bloomin' Mother's Day!

This past Mother's Day weekend was AWESOME.  Abso - bloomin' - lutely awesome. (more on the bloomin' part in a minute.)  Sometimes I feel like the entire concept of a Mother's Day is a little silly. I mean, being a mom is an amazing job already - do we really need an entire day devoted to honoring us for doing the greatest thing ever?  After spending 3 days alone with the kiddos last week and 4 days alone with them this week I can say, without pause and with as much emphasis as possible, YES.  Yes. Yes. Yes.  For two reasons:  1.  Because it's hard.  2.  Because it gives you an excuse to take it easy, relax, and just enjoy having children.  I mostly love the pause Mother's Day gives me.  I can ignore laundry, dishes, vacuuming (mostly b/c I did it the day before) and just love being with my kids and husband.

Mimi came by last Friday night in order to bring us dinner and hang out with Jackman and Lucy Goose.  She was such a huge help - after an exhausting work week I was incredibly grateful for the extra set of hands.  Plus Jack and Lucy loved chillin' with their Mimi on a Friday night :)
I literally did not lift a finger that night.  Awesome :)


The next day we met up with Mimi again and went to Blooms Day on the UT Campus!  Lucy was thrilled I promise - ignore the expression.  She actually had a great time in the Bjorn looking at all the pretty flowers.  It was gorgeous there and gave me a much needed lift after being so tired for the last week.


Jack enjoyed the bug tent with the bean bag board.


There were Hissing Cockroaches in an aquarium that he could have held.  Thankfully Jack turned down the offer.  Thankfully.  I made a beeline right out of there.



The next day, when he was back in town, Andy asked me what I wanted to do for the actual "Mother's Day."  I told him - "Go back to Blooms Day!"  I know that sounds dumb and redundant but I can't help it.  Nothing sounded nicer than wandering through beautiful gardens with Andy and Jack and Lucy.  Flowers are my spa.  Some women get pedicures, some get massages, I get two new hydrangeas.  Plus, since it was outside, Jack could run around and burn some energy.  Or eat a ton of free cookies like the one pictured above :)
They had a vertical planter there which I was obsessed with.  And then Andy uttered four magical words, "I can build that."  I'm hopeful.  Very hopeful.


My very perfect day :)  and my first Mother's Day with Lucy!


This is what I walked out with.  A new hydrangea.  And another one planted around the side of the house.  And if we hadn't run out of room in the car, I'd have 3 more.


Jack also walked out with a Venus Fly Trap!  He gave one to Anderson and I can definitively say - it's the grossest thing I've ever bought.  Ever.  Ew. Ew. Ew.


Best Mother's Day Ever.  I love this face (and the face of the sweet little girl sleeping in the next room.)  I will always be grateful to Jack for making me a mother and grateful to Lucy for making my heart double in size.  Mother's Day was phenomenal this year and I loved every second of it :)

1 comment:

gloverfamily said...

I am commenting on all of the past posts in one...

It is SO hard and I have only had 2 for a week. We better get awesome mother's day gifts when these kids are grown up! You are doing awesome balancing everything, especially all of this time while you are alone!!

Thanks for the Max shout out:)


I love that you are so comforted by flowers and plants. It is such a great part of who you are!