I'm not gonna lie - I always knew about the perks of being a teacher long before I made that career choice. Summers off, long holiday breaks, working with kids that keep you on your toes, the huge paycheck...oh wait, but anyway... But it's not until today that I truly can say - perks are awesome!!! Today is the first official day of summer break and I think I've stopped myself 5 different times so far to say - "I get 10 whole weeks off with Jack! Sweet!" Granted the idea of entertaining a toddler nonstop can be a tad daunting - but it's a task I'm all kinds of pumped about :) For example, Perk #1 - I now have time in the morning to "make" Jack a real breakfast. Here he is enjoying some scrambled eggs with cheese!
Perk #2 - I get to hang out with my precious daughter - The Fat. Bean turned 12 years old today and I'm a little in shock of how great a big sister she is. Very attentive and mothering herself. I think I keep her for another 12 :)
Perk #3 - I get to play all day. Who wouldn't love that??? In true toddler fashion, Jack not only rolls his car but throws it with all his might against the glass door. Thank God this house is a rental :)
Perk #4 - Teaching allows you to make an impact on amazing people. Case in point, I received this bday gift for Jack from a former student Caroline Yeager. Caroline was in two of my classes at FWBHS - one of which was mostly girls and who got a real kick out of watching my belly expand as the year progressed :) In fact, she and the other girls helped throw me a baby shower before I left! How sweet is that?! Caroline knows how much I love the book The Lorax and found this adorable bag for Jack. Keep in mind she is a freshman in college, completely busy with all sorts of things and she took the time to think of my child and send him a gift. Never did I imagine as I was sitting in those monotonous education classes at UT 8 years ago that this would be one of the real perks of this job. Forming relationships with students that last beyond the classroom. :) Yup, I'd say getting to spend your summers with your child and teaching other people's wonderful children are definitely some amazing perks.




2 comments:
Yay!! Agreed on all of it & I love the Lorax bag!
I agree!
Post a Comment