Sunday, November 13, 2011

Totally Tube-ular!

 On Friday, Nov 11th (Hooray for Veterans!!!) Jackman had tubes put in and adenoids taken out.  As any parent knows, putting your child under anesthesia for any length of time is stressful.  I sometimes think that imagination is both a blessing and a curse - it allows you to take any scenario and make it unbearable.  But Jackman (and Andy and I) were very lucky b/c we had loads of support from friends and family that made the event much more manageable.  Like I've said before, I know this wasn't open heart surgery or anything but there is no such thing as minor surgery when it's your child.  Thankfully this child was in such a good mood he was really the one that put me and Andy at ease.

 Here he is the morning of with his seahorse and blanket ready to go.  That face is only because he has learned that there will be no breakfast.  I wouldn't even take him downstairs for fear that he might catch sight of the fridge and have a meltdown.


"I hear there will be Popsicles after.  Is that true?"


 
 Waiting room of the surgery center!  Jack had a full blown entourage with him.  Both sets of grandparents came down to show how much they love him :)  He is a really lucky kiddo.


Having our breathing treatment in the room before going in for the procedure.  The nurses kept marveling at how laid back and tolerant he was.  And yes, I gloated. :)


At one point the nurse brought out this rotary phone for Jack to play with - he wasn't sure what to make of it. Can you blame him?



Now, up to this point Andy and I were still a little jittery and nervous.  We listened to what seemed like 5 "debriefings" on the surgery and anesthesia, tried to entertain Jackman as best we could, all the while waiting for that dreaded moment when the nurse would come and take my child from me.  I was sweating bullets.  But then, the best thing happened to calm our nerves and relieve all the tension.  It's name is "Happy Juice."  Every nurse kept mentioning it as something that would act as a sedative and amnesia maker of sorts. (Personally, I thought they should offer it to parents in the waiting room but that's just me.)  They told us to hold onto Jack once he had it b/c it would cause him to become silly and uncoordinated.  THAT was an understatement.  I credit Happy Juice to breaking the tension and allowing Andy and I the ability to hand our child off without thinking of surgery, but instead thinking of what a goofy, sweet boy we had in our midst :)



Here the HJ had just begun to kick in.  "Heeeeey man!"


"Why's the bed moving?  Woooooo!"



"Do you feel what I'm feeling?  I hope so man!  This is rotally tad!"
 


"I mean totally rad!  Heehee!"


"Love you Daddy!"


"Wooo I feel a nap coming on"




Notice how the trains stay firmly in his grasp :)

Here's a little video I took of Jack - what I love the most is when he see his Daddy and melts into a fit of giggles.  Very cute/hilarious.  I feel this is how he will be on his 21st birthday.


He came through like a champ and before we knew it we were on our way home.  Dr Belmont was awesome and made sure we were very well taken care of.  From here on out, we only need a week of antibiotic, 3 days of ear drops, and must wear ear plugs in the tub.  A small price to pay for not being on 9 different antibiotics each year.  What amuses me the most though is that people keep telling me, "It will change your life.  He will turn into a totally different little boy."  I'm amused only because he's an incredibly happy boy pre-ear tubes.  i can't imagine what kind of kid we will get now!


 
Once home we alternated b/t playing and napping.  But no matter what we did, we always had train in hand.



Mimi came by to bring Jack a Thomas the Train book - which he LOVES - and to give him a snuggle.  While she was here, they watched Jack's new train DVD's together.  Even the Fedex man knew that Jack was having a difficult day and brought the DVD's I ordered on Thursday a day early!  Thanks to the recommendation of Jack's Aunt Sissa, we now possess a Thomas the Train DVD and a Mighty Machines DVD (circa 1983).  He loves them as well :)


Mimi makes everything better :)


Later that day, Gaga and Papa came over for a visit.  Jack promptly climbed up into Papa's lap and took a snooze.  Precious!  I can attest from personal experience that these are great arms to take a nap in. :)




Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................


Lizzitante and Ali came by that evening to join us and hand out some Jack kisses.  Jack, once again being the Schmoozer Extraordinaire, climbed into his Tante's lap and snuggled.  


Mighty Machines!!!

 The 2nd big event of the day (other than minor surgery) was that it was Mom's birthday!!!  She is 29.  I baked her a semi-edible cake and we all gathered around to sing Happy Birthday!  My poor mother though - worrying about her grandson having surgery on her birthday was not exactly the best gift I could have given her but being the selfless person she is, she never let it bother her.  I love you Mom!!!


She looks damn good for 29 doesn't she? :)




4 comments:

Dotti said...

What an experience that day was for our Jack!! He handled it like a real trooper-Thank you for the lovely birthday dinner and cake-it was all the more delicious after the day finally settled down :) I think we could have all used a bit of that Happy Juice that morning :)

hughesfamily said...

Cutest Hair Ever Award! :)

That video is hilarious, and I am sure he will love to see it one day! You did a great job documenting! I can't imagine how scary it was! I know it wasn't major or anything, but, yeah, that is still super scary. I am so glad this will be so great for him!

**Also, I totally love you and love the comment you wrote on my blog! I should not have said anything else about Bama, but I just want you and all of my amazing friends in Bham to know that I really do think y'all are so awesome, but, like all SEC schools, there are some rednecks. So, I promise I am never, ever talking about you. All of my good friends in Bham are Bama fans, and they are amazing, like you, too! It was a bad week with the random FB fight thing, though. Haha. It is all good, now. I totally know you weren't talking about me...I just always feel bad when I say something bad about Bama- I am never talking about you, I promise! I WISH I were a Bama fan! It would be a lot more fun this year (and last, and the year before...). :)

gloverfamily said...

Love his hair!! Happy birthday to your mom! Yay for trains and I do believe I saw some dump truck pjs in one pic? I secretly cannot wait until I overhear you singing the theme song of "mighy machines" at work one day-it will never leave you, it's scary. SO glad everything went well!!! Of course it did, but it is still good to hear!

Joanna and Connor said...

A) Jack looks much happier about the adenoid removal than I remember being. Of course in the dark ages there was no happy juice.
B) Connor loves Mighty Machines! And Josh and I prefer it.
Most of all, we love Jack and are glad he's feeling better.