The other day I was standing in my backyard, Andy was relaxing on the deck, Bean was sniffing for rabbit poop (don't ask-it's weird) and Jack was running full speed across the lawn at his new basketball goal (courtesy of Granddaddy at Christmas!). I paused and said to my husband - "This is what I always wanted." Andy looked a little puzzled b/c at that point Jack had started throwing dirt at the garage wall. But then I explained to him what I meant. I love my life. I know you shouldn't say that out loud but it's true. And since I'm typing it and not saying it then it can't count against me, right? Anyway, when I was in college this is what I pictured -
1. having a house (that we have made/are making our own)
2. having a (sweet, hard-working, thoughtful, hilarious) husband
3. having a(n energetic, affectionate, goofy, adorable, perfect) child
4. having a furry companion who would love my child as much as I do.
5. And finally a job (that although it pushes me to the brink at times) I truly love to do.
I basically got it all and once again, I realize the doom and gloom I am wishing on myself for saying it out loud. But I realized that as i print out the blog every year I want a gentle reminder that no matter what minor, ridiculous setbacks or hiccups we might encounter (did I really throw my hands up in exasperation when the man at the wine store told me they had stopped making my favorite wine? Sheesh...) life is overall pretty darn amazing.
And what could be more perfect than ice cream! I mean, the outdoors also equal ice cream! Thanks to Jack's Aunt Sissa, we knew to wear pajamas to Brewster's to get a free waffle cone! Someone looks happy :)
Last weekend, I got to dig up the ugly bushes and replace them with Indian Hawthorne. It was awesome. And all the while i got to enjoy the daffodils and tulips Lizzi and I had planted in the fall.
I cannot wait til these things are big and flowering and making my front walk smell like heaven. Oddly enough there are some that will ask me, "Why doesn't Andy do this for you? Why are you out there digging things up and planting big shrubs? That's a man's job!" I always feel puzzled at that remark. Andy doesn't "make me" do this. I force him to let me. I love digging stuff up and planting things in my yard. I know many share this passion and honestly I have always believed that the only career I would truly enjoy doing if I wasn't a teacher would be to own a nursery. The giddiness that accompanies walking into a greenhouse full of flowers has yet to be matched other than in the classroom.
And to round out the perfection that is my life (I'm typing this with fingers crossed just in case) I have given birth to a boy. A species that fundamentally LOVES dirt! I sense a "gardener's assistant" t-shirt in his future. :)





2 comments:
Okay strangeness-I think I emailed my comment to you instead of posting it here. Anyway-you do indeed live a charmed life -love it-but save some of that digging energy for next week so you can help me plant in the huge shade bed Daddy made for me. It's overwhelming -all empty :( I'll get Jack his very own spade :)
Yay for happiness:)
Also, I am totally intrigued by your green thumb (and the rest of your apparently green hand). I must admit I can't even get weeds to grow so I remain in awe of you. And, I will be a willing taker of your herbs:)
Post a Comment