Sunday, June 3, 2012

Wet

I predict water being a big part of our summer.  And by predict, I mean I INTEND for water to be a big part of this summer.  Because it's gonna be hot people.  So on that note, here are a few activities we are indulging in for some H2O fun!

Fun sprinkler toy from Uncle Adam & Aunt Kate!  It's a huge sprinkler arch that he kept running under again and again.  Jack could have spent all day under this but I worried about our water bill.




Wheeee!!!!!!



Some video of the big event :)





I also bought him a "snap pool" - it is supposed to snap into place but little did I know that required me filling up a 6 ft wide pool with water to the max.  To be honest, I was searching for those hard plastic pools at WalMart and couldn't find them.  So this was the next best thing.  Little did I know, the hard plastic tubs were on display a little further down (in the smokers areas) and bought this monstrosity instead.  At least popsicles made it a little better.



I know he's cute but we returned the pool the next day.  Chalk one up for WalMart and their easy return policy.


Last Thursday we joined the pool!  This thing is located directly across the street from our house so it only makes sense that we should take advantage of it.  When I took Jack over there on Friday he gave me a look of utter indifference.


He was in the pool at total of 25 seconds then found a shovel in the dirt and dug around for the next 15 minutes.



In an effort to make "wet" a bigger part of our lives we signed up for swim lessons!  Melissa found a great deal on swim lessons at her YMCA so we pretended Jack was Anderson's twin and got the discounted rate!  Let me clarify the nature of these lessons - they are toddler swim lessons.  They mostly involved Jack clinging to me like a barnacle on a boat while I pried him off me long enough to kick.  But the whole goal of this was to get him comfortable with the water.

Mission accomplished!


I don't foresee a future Michael Phelps in the future but am hoping for a semi-buoyant child who can play in a pool while his mommy reads a book in a nearby lounge chair (not too nearby to be suffocating but not too distant to see that my child needs my help).  Too much to ask?  We shall see.

3 comments:

gloverfamily said...

love the water theme! that sprinkler looks like too much fun-we will be over this week to play in it!

also, the swim "lessons" were awesome!

hughesfamily said...

I love your goal and motivation to try to get him to swim/float. Sounds great- just enough so I can hang out and relax like before I had a kid.

I am so envious of Jack running in the sprinkler arch. Lily is such a wimp with water.

Dotti said...

i guess i need to get a wading pool while Jack stays with us-looks like fun :)