We have entered a new phase. Potty training has arrived. We have moved onto big boy underpants. Which means several things - the laundry load has increased drastically, I now throw out clothing (I don't wash poop people), and my couch cushions are wrapped in garbage bags for the time being. We have been dragging our feet with this potty training thing - (by we I mean Andy & me) - simply because...well...diapers are easier. Sorry but it's the big boy bed all over again. I just know from other moms that this will not be easy. And I've heard from SEVERAL people, that boys are always harder. But I also know that it would be nice (and cheaper) to have Jack potty trained before Lucy arrives. So let the games begin!
We have been doing pull ups for the last three months in the hopes of getting Jack used to underpants. I'm gonna go on the record and say - they are a gimmick. It's nothing but a glorified diaper. In the future I would much rather use the slip on diapers that are more absorbent than pull ups while we introduce Lucy to the concept of peeing in the potty. But once she's got that concept down we quickly move on. Pull ups offer a sense of security that can be quite deceptive and sadly very alluring. See, you THINK your kid is getting the hang of it b/c he wears pull ups and will go on the potty with prompting. But let's not fool ourselves. It does not teach a kid that "Oops. I'm wet. Guess next time I need to use a toilet." Heck no. Jack's not an idiot. He knows this thing will allow him to keeping playing without having to stop what he's doing. In fact, b/c they are designed to be less absorbent and make a kid feel wet, they also gave Jack an awful rash and in his words made "his peepee hurt." So last week, over Fall Break, we moved Jack into real tighty whities. Operation Underpants had begun.
And so far, a week in, it's hit or miss. In the first hour we had 4 accidents. He is great at telling me he has to poop with enough time in advance but the peeing thing is another story. (This may be kinda gross for a lay person to read but sorry - this scrapblog is my record for future childrearing episodes) I find with this, we have to just keep asking him over and over if he needs to potty and sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. As stupid as it sounds, what made me the most nervous about this little experiment was daycare. I wasn't sure how often his teachers would ask him (he does have 5 other kids in his class that they have to work with) so I showed up on Monday morning with 3 changes of clothes and 4 pairs of underwear. And true to form, his teachers are awesome. They ask him constantly. Some days this week he's been great, some days not so much. So the trial and error phase continues. Someday he'll get the hang of it (I'm hoping that day is before Feb 4th but I doubt that;ll happen) But until that day comes, thank God for Natures Miracle, a washing machine, and cheap Walmart undies :)

1 comment:
Oh... Hang in there! Potty training is NOT fun at all. I have really no great words of encouragement except just keep going. I wanted to quit several times but am so glad I fought through it. I did have to send lily to my mom for a night or two about a month in bc I was OVER it and seriously going to quit. I have heard about kids who potty trained in like 3 days or a week. Whatever. Their moms are either lying or all of the stars aligned more perfectly for their kid. :) So, don't get too discouraged about comparing him bc that was something I had to get over. Eventually, this will all be behind you, and you will be able to focus more on new baby Lucy! Jack is adorable chilling on the garbage bag covered couch cushions.
Also, I never got to comment on the tri cities post! Haha! I was cracking up about the 3 cities. I never knew until we lived in JC. Growing up in west TN, I never knew any of them existed actually. Kingsport is the other one. :) it was soooo much fun! I am happy you guys came! Come back In the summer when the weather is nice! Lily loves you both!
Post a Comment