Saturday, February 2, 2013

First Week!

Lucy is now one week old!  And it's been a very busy week as Andy & I adjust to life with Lucy and Jack to wrangle (let's be honest, Bean is never one to need wrangling so we don't factor her into that particular equation.)  Here is a rare picture of Jack & Lucy hanging out.  Sadly, I don't let him hold or touch her very often simply because I'm still not sure about how toddler germs and newborn immune systems co-exist.  I'm sure it will improve with time - I'd just love to get about 6 weeks under her belt before I need to worry about Lucy and antibiotics.


Love these two :)



Here she is saying hi to Granddaddy and Adam while we were still in the hospital.  We had to stay 48 hours since I tested positive for Group B Strep and she came out so fast I only had a chance to get one round  of antibiotics in me before she was born (part of me wants to mention that I would have had two rounds had the nurses not blown 5 veins before getting my IV right....but I digress...)  This meant we checked out of the hospital on Monday afternoon and by that point we were ready to get home.  We missed Jackman and Bean and I frankly want a real shower in my own bathroom.  Plus the food - which started out good - was quickly deteriorating.  I think they do this on purpose to encourage a speedy check out...Thankfully Lucy showed no signs of Group B and we were set up with appointments for a pediatrician check the next day and an ultrasound check on Thursday.  Because of her 2 vessel cord, she requires an ultrasound to make sure her renal system has developed properly.  (All went great with that by the way.  Proof that she is perfect.)



Photo ops with Lizzitante, Gaga, and Baba :)  She so tiny!




Home!  After what felt like a 3 hour wait, we were finally discharged and allowed to take the Lucy Goose home.  Check out her precious hat that Aunt Cristin's mother knitted for her!  Sister Bean was natural curious, gave her an approving sniff, and went about her business :)


 Jackman, in typical Jackman style, was curious at first but then realized a basic (and probably life-saving) asset of babies - Newborns are kind of boring.  So he proceeded to watch tv and constantly beg Gaga for her i-Pad (which he started calling My i-pad - ha!) so he could play 'Anger Bird.'  Frankly, this is how I prefer it.  Mild interest, following by outright indifference.

Anger Birds in action.  I'm frightened by how good he is at this. Baba and Gaga hung out til Thursday morning to help with Jackman and give him lots of attention that first week so he wouldn't feel neglected.  I can say with certainty - mission accomplished.


It would seem that even the utility company knew we were in need of Jack distractions because they had a tiny digger and constructions equipment across the street from us on Wednesday. It equaled hours of enjoyed for Jackman :)


Lucy went for her newborn check-up on Tuesday with Dr. Fogle and she is in the 50th percentile for length, in the 30s for weight, and get this - 10th percentile for head!  I know.  As you can tell she was as shocked as we were.  After Jack's sizable melon at birth I was expecting something similar.  No wonder I pushed for 90 minutes with Jack and Lucy took a grand total of 5 minutes.  One part of the check-up that was frustrating was her weight loss though.  She had lost 10% of her birth weight and was starting to look jaundice-y.  Stupid nursing.  So we are supplementing with formula for the foreseeable future.  I will admit, the nursing is going much better this time.  Don't get me wrong, it still sucks and I have yet to totally see all the perks but at least we are making progress.  And when I went back for her re-check two days later she had gained 4 oz!  So I'm guessing this will be the norm - combo of formula and breast milk.  I know I just made lactation consultants everywhere cringe but so what.  Formula is not the devil and without it Lucy would not be thriving right now.  From the vibe I always got from lactation consultants, they think breast milk can fix the hole in the ozone layer.  I am thrilled Lucy is getting it but I'm also realistic about how this won't change the direction of her life.



How sweet is this face?  I can't believe one week ago I was talking to her in my belly and now she's here.  As of right now, she is eating every 2 to 2.5 hours, sleeping a lot during the day, and is wide awake and slightly fussy from the hours of 11-4.  I think this is another survival technique for newborns.  Make them this cute and you don't mind existing on 2 hours of sleep every day.


Melissa and her mother brought us dinner on Wednesday night and it was so delicious - and SO APPRECIATED!  Anderson got to see Baby Lucy and I loved watching Melissa try to explain to Anderson that this was what Baby Max will look like in May - small, fragile, but not wearing pink :).  It's all about preparation people.  The transition from 1 to 2 children is a terrifying one and you want all the help you can get.  It's also fun to see Melissa now that I'm no longer pregnant b/c now that my gargantuan stomach is nearly gone, her preggers belly looks so big and so adorable!  I can't get over that Max will be here in about 15 weeks!


 The Godparents!  Adam came by the previous night to snuggle Lucy (poor Kate couldn't come b/c she's still feeling under the weather) and give her some kisses.  Hopefully Kate starts feeling better and can come for a visit soon.  We are also anticipating a Mimi visit this weekend as well so Lucy is not without admirers :)

We rounded out our first week with a quick bath! Andy stayed home on Friday with me while Jack went to daycare and we got some stuff done around the house.  And by 'stuff' I mean we took naps.  Much much needed naps.  Lucy was not a fan of the bath and I can't wait til the cord falls off and we can give her real baths :)  She's just too cute snuggled in her towel.  This has been such a whirlwind week and although the sleep deprivation and zombie-like appearance of the parents is somewhat disconcerting, it's been a very positive one.  Even though Lucy cries at night right across the hallway from Jack, he has yet to wake up.  And all the pooping and peeing from the extra feedings has given her awful diaper rash, but I think we on the path to making that a little better too.  So I will optimistically label Week One of the New and Improved Brimer Family a success!    

3 comments:

hughesfamily said...

Agh! I keep putting comment and blogger eats them!

I am thinking of you every day! It was so exciting the day Lucy came! Melissa texted me with every update! I was teary eyed when I got the text that she was here!! I can't wait to meet her!

And, nursing sucks. Don't let anyone tell you that it was easy for them and make you feel bad. It is NOT natural. And, do your best. Don't let anyone suck you into their breastfeeding cult. Every baby and every body is different. You are Lucy's best mama ever no matter what decisions you have to make. For the record, Hughes and I were both all formula and we are awesome. :) But, nursing DOES get a little easier than it is at first. It is never "easy" I wouldn't say at all, but it gets easier than it is at first for sure.

Lucy is gorgeous! Melissa said you look great! Soooo excited for y'all

gloverfamily said...

LOVE!!! She had a bath! Look at Jack loving on her! So many pics to frame.

You are doing awesome and I am SO impressed with how you are handling 2 kids and everything that goes with them.

Bravo and I just love you all!

Dotti said...

Miss my Lucy and Jack :(
You are doing a great job-it's never easy :)
Can't wait to get back up there!!