Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Return to Normalcy

Not to steal President Harding's creativity with the English language here, but I think we have finally reached a level of normalcy in our house.  After nearly 3 months (3 months?!?) with Lucy Goose, I think the Brimers have now established what it is like to have 5 of us running around this place (and yes, Bean counts as a fifth member.)  We now have a routine both on weekdays and weekends and I can't begin to tell you how awesome that feels.

Our new normal involves returning to real errands.  Last weekend, Andy took Jack for a haircut.  The strangest thing happened.  Andy had to get his hair cut during the visit as well and brought my phone with him so that Jack could play "anger birds" while he got a cut.  But instead, the lady took Jack over to her chair and cut his hair while Andy got his done...AT THE SAME TIME.  When they came home and Andy told me about the experience, all he kept saying was, "I'm so proud, it was crazy, I may as well have not even been there."  This boy continues to amaze us every day.  I have to keep reminding myself that he's capable of so much more than we give him credit for.  Usually that reminder comes about 5 seconds before he dumps a bowl of oatmeal on the floor or tries to feed Lucy dirt but I have to remember - he's almost 3.


Speaking of Lucy, she is becoming more and more a baby and less and less an infant.  That may not make much sense but to me an infant is delicate, slightly boring, and no personality.  A baby has habits, giggles, and makes you laugh when she's talking back to you.  And you know what?  She can now face out in the Bjorn!  This is a game changer.  She was miserable in the Bjorn when her face was suffocating against my neck.  But now I can accomplish so much!  Lucy likes watching the action from the cheap seats here and it frees me up to get chores done, play with Jack, etc.  It is awesome.


Speaking of awesome, this girl is rocking out the sleep thing.  More on that in her 3 month post.  I mostly just wanted to point out how freakin' cute her cheeks are in this picture.


Is it wrong that when I think of "normal' I also include random ailments and doctor visits?  Lucy has developed eczema and we have a doctor appointment tomorrow to confirm it.  I'm slightly relieved that her first sick child visit since starting daycare will be for a skin funk and NOT a sinus infection.  Knock on wood.  Poor Luce :(


Last Wednesday I got to take our normal routine to a new level.  Andy went out of town to Nashville on business so I had the distinct pleasure of getting two kids ready for bed and then getting them up in the morning for all of us to go to school.  Mind you, this is not ridiculously hard.  Many people do this every day with no qualms.  However, this was a first for me.  It required getting up at 5 am so I could get a shower before both kids woke up. And putting both of them to bed at the same time which was interesting but thankfully a learning experience.  Trial by fire type of stuff is the best way to figure out this 2 kid thing.  And thankfully I was blessed with two kids who sleep well, eat well, and somehow sense when Mommy is nervous and needs them to cooperate.  I mean honestly, check out these faces.  Piece of cake folks :)


Plus you can't forget I have "Dr. Bean" on call to lend a hand.



Lucy is adjusting to school SO WELL.  She eats like a champ, naps occasionally, but is never fussy about it.  Her brother, on the other hand, is not faring as well.  It's been a rough go of it with Jack lately.  He has a new teacher at school (Miss Dakota moved to Lucy's room and Miss Amy now has the 2 year olds) who is seriously very nice.  But when she started, a new boy started as well in Jack's class.  Since then, I have seen (and heard) of a decline in his behavior.  pushing, spitting, saying no a lot.  :(  Part of me thought this was because he was turning 3.  Another part of me was shocked b/c Jack NEVER gets a bad report (how obnoxiously of a parent do I sound right now?  I know Jack is not perfect - Good Lord I have a brain.  But this was a drastic change from the usual behavior reports I get.) Then I learned that the new kid has some behavior issues.  And he may be teaching him some of his bad habits...  I'm relieved that there is now a real explanation for the craziness.  However it still stinks when his teacher tells me he had a "good day" but then follows it with, "Yeah it's been weird.  All my bad kids were good today and all my good kids have been bad."  She quickly backtracked after realizing what she said and rephrased it with, "I shouldn't say bad, more like outgoing."  But in my mind I'm going, "Jack is one of the bad kids?!?!?"  I have a feeling this is going to haunt me for a while.

 The positive of this week was that his school had Spring photos which translates into - ADORABLE SIBLING PICTURES!  Not sure why they put Jack in farmer overalls but Lucy's fairy outfit was precious.  So so precious.


I love this. His teacher told me this kiss was spontaneous.  Jack woke up from his nap that day saying, "I miss Lucy." :) He may be a bit of a hellion in the classroom but he's also a hell of a big brother.



My darling Fairy and Farmer.  Love them :)


 And lastly, normal would not be normal in this house without the required goofiness.  This boy takes the cake when it comes to personality. Love him :)





Or the required awesome-ness.  How much do you love this shirt from Aunt Sissa???   Love my Catholic girl :)




Lastly, our normal life is rounded out with play dates. Melissa and Anderson came over on Sunday for a much needed play date and it was surreal.  The boys (I love calling them that) occupied themselves with rough housing on the slide while Melissa and I tended to Lucy.  That's a lie.  Once again I sat on my butt while 9 months pregnant Melissa held my child.  I suck, she rocks, it's a documented fact people.  But the best part of all of this is that for the last 30 minutes Jack and Anderson played upstairs by themselves while Melissa and I talked.  No fights broke out, no bones were broken, no one came tumbling down the stairs.  It. Was. Magical.  AND a sure sign that it does in fact get easier :)

Right Lucy?  Right, she says :)

3 comments:

Dotti said...

Glad to know you've got everything under control :) It does get easier I promise you - I survived didn't I? Don't comment on that:)
Why is it that our children always pick up other kids less than desirable traits? I'm stewing over that teacher's remarks too !!!
Enjoy the new found ease and mobility you have now-will be there Friday to celebrate the most awesome Jack's birthday -can't wait.Oh- I want every single one of those prints copied for me :)

hughesfamily said...

THOSE CHEEKS!!!!!!!! Goodness!

I love that Jack is at school with her! The big brother, always looking out for his baby sister.

gloverfamily said...

I am dying over the fairy pics. Those are ridiculous. How is she big enough to be a fairy??

Jack is pretty precious as a shirtless farmer, too.

I continue to be impressed by your ability to handle 2 kids and keep your sanity. You are my hero.