Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pestilence (with Gaga to the rescue)

I cannot, without a doubt, wait for February to be over.  Not to be too crude here but this month seriously kicked my ass.  This month was chock full of snow days, observation anticipation, insanely high fevers, sinus infections, vomiting, ear infections, more fevers, and RSV.  I'm over it.  March had better bring warm temperatures and a virus free environment.  It got so bad at one point that Andy was the last man standing in a house of pestilence and we had to call in the reinforcements (aka my mom.)


Thank god for my mother.  I took the kids to school on Feb 17th and ended up taking a half day b/c Jack's fever was still pitiful and he puked at school (by this point Lucy had recovered from RSV and double ear infection so she was actually in a great mood.) I couldn't take anymore days off so my mother drove up the next day to watch Jack for the rest of the week.  And it was glorious.  Every day when I came home from work, the house was clean, my child was totally entertained, dinner was planned, and we had a Gaga to watch over both kids while I made dinner or just sat on my rear end and enjoyed a little Olympics.  If a genie were to pop out of a lamp and offer me one wish I would say, without hesitation, that I want my parents to live 5 minutes away.  The older I get, the more I realize that I am my mother's daughter.  We share a brain and I could seriously hang out with her every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Plus, I'm pretty sure my children would be stoked about this too :)


When Gaga is around, Jack gets lots of Lucky Charms for breakfast.

She also took him out to buy paints.  Apparently we need to help him express his artistic side (which resulted in several impressive pictures of plants, clouds, storms, worms, etc.)  And b/c we had a freak warm spell Jackman played outside and made friends with a worm he named Foofee.  Boys....


Ah Olympics.  I convinced Jack for a while there that curling was cool.  It is, but given that it's not Wild Kratts or Mighty Machines, I needed to really sell him on it to change the channel.


More painting at the Van Gaga School of Art.

By the time the last day of February arrived, we were done with sickness and pestilence and anything else that this horrid, short month might bring.  March promises us many exciting things - warm weather, Spring Break, playing outside, my sanity.  We can't wait!


Some Lucy videos.  This is her saying my favorite phrase ever - "Hi there!"  I love it so much.  :)


This too is my personal favorite.  Lucy LOVES to dance (the only genetic proof I have that she is my daughter since I think she looks like Andy) and every once in a while Jack pretends he likes her and will dance with her.  This, my friends, is blackmail worthy for when they are teenagers some day :)

3 comments:

hughesfamily said...

Why is it that we give birth to DAUGHTERS and they look like their Dads? I feel like I got cheated somehow...

Jack's face in the painting picture!! He is so focused!!!!

I hope March is better! February sounded awful!

Dotti said...

Thanks for the lovely complement- I too wish we could live closer. But anytime you need us- we are there:) I loved my time with sick Jack, worms???? They were gross over 30 years ago with John and they're still gross!!! boys!!!

gloverfamily said...

Feb is truly the devil. I am so glad Lucy realized that and arrived in Jan.


I love the art and worms! Your mom is SO awesome!! I do feel like the genie granted my wish because it is pretty awesome to have my parents so close. But, your mom definitely proves that she can cram some quality time into visits. SO great that she just stopped everything and put everything in her own life on hold so she could come rescue you guys.

love that first pic