Before I get to the post about t-ball, can I just ask this question that all mothers have? Why the hell does a car ride turn two children who adamantly fight naps to sleep? It's like the second we want to be productive and go somewhere, my actions get sabotaged. Not cool Jack and Goose. Not cool. It seriously makes me want to just drive around aimlessly listening to music and hit fast food places on the way. If gas were cheaper I might actually do that... Now onto t-ball.
This is the weekend I have been anxiously awaiting for a while. T-ball! It's so exciting! For two reasons, 1)it's warm enough to actually play t-ball which means winter can kiss it & 2) Jackman gets to experience the wonderful world of organized sports! (I can't say that I ever enjoyed that world but I'm hopeful my children didn't inherit that gene.) Gaga bought Jack a set of rubber bases and a bat and glove so we could practice in the backyard.
Lucy played the part of relaxed spectator (notice the one foot kicked up.) Backyard practice went ok (with the exception of Andy trying to teach Jack how to catch a baseball in his glove - resulting in Jack getting a ball right to the eye. Not your best father/son moment but I couldn't help thinking... only in this family :)
The real practice was hilarious and cute and stressful (mostly b/c I wanted Jack to have a good time and he was a bit grumpy when we showed up.) Watching grown men teach baseball to preschoolers is a bit like herding cats. BUT JACK LOVED IT!
They all took turns hitting the ball off the tee & fielding it.
He was very focused. Please notice all the dads in the background directing the kids where to go. Seriously - herding cats.
Jackman got a few good hits...
Ran the bases (he only stopped practice briefly to tell the coach there was a ladybug on the floor :)
I love Andy here cheering him on
Score! This was such a fun experience and I can't wait for his first game.
Max and Lucy were there to cheer their brothers on. And eat random dirt off the gym floor. 2nd kids are such troopers.
Mimi helped wrangle the Goose and entertain our little wiggle worm.
Jack showing off his baseball pants (and random/awesome Crocs from Gaga). He kept talking about playing baseball again and can't wait for practice next Saturday morning. Is it weird that I started crying that night after he went to bed b/c all I could think of was how grown up he looked out there? I love/don't love this part of parenting. I want him to grow up and experience new things but I also want him to stay my little boy. If anyone figures out how to reconcile this with oneself please let me know. This is when the world of Harry Potter would be useful. If I just had a timeturner I wouldn't have to sweat these things.
Here's a quick video of Jack tagging Andy out :)













2 comments:
A time turner would solve every single problem, ever.
T-ball!!!!!!!! I so prefer organized activities of any kind over pretend playing with my kids/trying to survive trapped at home.
Yay, Jack!
How cute! It's always awesome to see kids try out something new. To see them enjoy themselves, and see other dads do their stuff as well, must have been a sight. In this stage, the key is introducing them to an organized sport. This is a step higher than randomly playing, which should help them ready for more rigorous games, and more importantly, social interaction with other people. I hope the kids have fun on their next visit!
Linnie Dimmitt @ Uniforms Express
Post a Comment