Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar Eclipse!!!

Every once in a while, something truly cool happens in our neck of the woods.  On August 21st, that cool thing was a Total Solar Eclipse!!!  We happened to be in the pathway of totality so Knox County made the brilliant move to cancel school AND bought glasses for all the students.

We made a day of it and went to Noni's house to party with the Glovers and Noni's neighbors for an Eclipse Party Cookout!

Andy took a half day that day to join us!

Melissa had also made some other eclipse contraptions as well. It was so cool!

Flag from Grandaddy to commemorate the day!

So pumped I got to share this super cool experience with my best friend.  Even if we did spent half of it stressing out about our children burning their retinas.

Checking out the eclipse box.

Charlie had a blast just playing with all the toys and sand.



Lots of football was played as we waited.  If you'll notice, the light gets weirder here.

And here.

And then it got eerie - sorry for the strange pic.  Around 2 it started to get cooler out and the light dimmed.

Then we noticed that the crickets started chirping and the birds stopped singing.

At totality we all sat on the grass and watched together.  It was wild.  I didn't think I'd find this as cool as I did but I did.  We all loved it!


Twilight at 2:30 pm.  So cool!

Then we roasted marshmallows and headed home.  Just a typical day in the life of East Tennesseans :)  Notice my face reflects what most moms feel when their 4 year old wants a fiery smore.

No comments: