Monday, August 7, 2017

Tae Kwon Do & Dance

Extracurricular activities is part of being a kid.  Figuring out how to schedule and handle these activities with multiple children is part of being a parent.  This year we are trying something different.  Rather than a "seasonal sport" we've decided to enroll Jack and Lucy into something yearlong that they will like.  So here goes nothing.


Jack has been asking to try marital arts for at least a year now.  Maybe two.  Bascially since he's been watching America Ninja Warrior.  So we chose to do a trial lesson at Eun Marital Arts b/c #1 it is super close to my work and #2 it is locally owned and operated by a parent of two former students.  So I took him for the trial lesson and he immediately loved it.  And because I taught the owners son and daughter we got his uniform and sparing pads for free #teacherperks

I cannot begin to tell you how much he loves this.  With every single sport we've done, Jack has gotten about two practices or games in and asked when it will be over.  Mostly this is over boredom or frustration b/c he rarely feels like he's good enough to be on the team.  Andy and I aren't sure where this low self esteem comes from but the kid is super hard on himself and no matter what we've signed him up for, he never feels like he's good enough.  This is the first time he's truly felt success at something and we are so excited.  He has taken to this so quickly and loves the sense of accomplishment he feels with learning how to kick, punch, block properly.    Jack needed to find his niche and we hope this is it.


One of the best parts is that one of my favorite former students is a student teacher there and he routinely helps Jack with his form so that Jack can prepare for his test for his yellow belt.  Alex is one of the kindest, most helpful students I've ever taught and I love that I get to see him outside of school in his element, helping kids.

Jack's little class. :)  I cannot recommend EMAC to enough people.  Master Eun does such a wonderful job and Jack loves to go every week.


Now onto Lucy.  She is crowding me at the moment as I type this demanding that I tell everyone about her dance class.  If there are typos in this post, it's because she will not stop leaning onto the keyboard to see pictures of herself.

Lucy is doing dance.  In case the tutu confused you.  She has been looking forward to this for months.  I mean, seriously, months.  Hence the picture of her wearing her tutu to the grocery store.  :)

We have signed her up for the season at Revolution Dance.  She is taking ballet and tap every Monday from 5:15-6:00.  She LOVES it.  I caught a quick picture of her as she was walking to her class and the sheer joy on her face made my heart melt.  This little girl is truly a girly girl.  We've tried t-ball and soccer and both have been utter failures.  Total disinterest.  But this here is Lucy in her element.  I cannot wait to see this little one in her dance recital come May.  She'll probably be on stage for about 30 seconds but the preparation for this would have been worth it.  Lucy has also found her niche :)

No comments: