Thursday, October 20, 2011

18 months!

Tuesday was our 18 month appt!  Here is my big boy sitting in the waiting room all by himself.  Technically we are a few days shy of 18 months but for my purposes, it counts :)  Here's the lowdown:

Weight - 27, 9
Height - 32.25 in
Head - still pretty darn big - man it feels good to have big brains! :)
(Notice how the nurse had to make a note that this was (John) Jack.  I knew this would be a problem when we named him this way but seriously people. I'm pretty sure since I'm the only one taking this paper home I will know who these measurements are for.  It's an honest mistake but still a pet peeve.)

I'm not gonna lie though - it's getting to the point where I kind of dread the well child check up.  Mostly because I hate the development questions.  "Is he saying 10 words?"  "Can he identify 5 body parts?" "Can he tell you he wants juice or milk?"  I just hate the pressure.  I think it stems from him walking so late and not saying Mom until a month and a half ago.  I know that Jack is developing perfectly.  He has his own quirks and patterns about things & lord knows he is a smart boy.  It's just when the nurse or doctor asks a specific question, I feel like "Holy crud, I'm failing as a mom!  He doesn't know where his knee is!"  So in an effort to remind myself when the next child comes around that "milestones" are stupid, here is a list of Jack stats.

1.  Sleeps through the night.  Bedtime 7:30 pm, Wake time 6:15 am.  We take a bath, read a book, play for a bit, then Andy & I give him a kiss and he goes to bed by himself.  Amazing.
2.  Eats everything.  Right now, b.c we are lazy and it's a definite balanced meal - Jack is eating mostly Gerber meals at night.  Once Andy & I get our act together and get dinner on the table before 8 pm we will have more family meals.  Sorry Jack.
3.  Knows the words ball, dee (light), momma (YAAY!), dada, duck, truck, yeah(that's how he answers the phone), papa (grandpa), uh-oh, and pickle-pickle.  
4.  Likes to play with balls(constantly!), stack blocks, connect his trains and run them on the track, make his puppy from Mimi sing, and play with flip books.
5.  Can wipe his nose and then go over to the trash can to throw it away.
6.  Plays with the Bean like the best little brother - pats her back, hugs her neck, throws her ball, pulls her tail - she's very patient.
7.  Loves to watch the following on youtube when it's mealtime or breathing treatment time:  Moosebutter Star Wars tribute (still) - he even knows when to start swaying to the music like the guys in the video do.  It's precious.  Mickey Mouse Clubhouse intro and Hot Dog Dance.  The intro theme to Little Einsteins.  I've found myself walking around the house singing, "Kleine Einsteins!"
8.  When you ask for a kiss he comes at you with mouth wide open.  When you ask for a hug he simply lays his head on your shoulder.
9.  Helps me load and unload the dryer, vacuum the house, and wipe the table off.  
10.  Is learning to climb steps on his own instead of crawl up them.  That's a little scary.
  
We also learned, while at the doctor, that Jack's ear infection is back and he's wheezing like an 80 yr old smoker with bronchitis.  So....

Jack Cousteau is back in the fish mask!  Sadly though, since he's on his 3rd antibiotic now in 3 months we've been referred to an ENT to see whether tubes are the next step.  No biggie I realize.  From what I've heard everyone's kid has them.  It's just that - my kid hasn't.  So it's still a little scary.  Either way, we have an appt on Monday.  I'm trying to be nonchalant about it but it's kinda hard.

The one major positive of still having an ear infection is that Jack got to skip his shots for the week!  Granted, next Tuesday he'll be back in there to experience the horror but I do enjoy delaying the inevitable. :) 
  

4 comments:

Elizabeth Blankenship said...

I love your comment about the development questions- they suck. Wait till they show Jack a picture of a rotary phone and ask him to identify it! What a load of crap that one was.. I actually had to interrupt and ask them to show Claire a cell phone- Like we were getting graded on it! Also teach him the word for jaw- just sayin!

Dotti said...

Honestly-I was never asked any of those questions with any of you kids and guess what-you are all brilliant!!! I mean Lizzi never uttered a real word til she was 3 and then spoke like a 7 yr old and is phi beta kappa to boot GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!as are you :) but you and John were early talkers. I know they like to screen for problems but they create such anxiety -come on !! Jack is perfectly wonderful and totally brilliant-no contest!!!

eHawkins said...

He is precious! I think milestones are stupid too. I'm sorry to hear about the tubes in the ears. My brother had them and he's totally fine. I mean he can be rude and a pain but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the tubes. :-)

gloverfamily said...

I thought I commented on this, but clearly I was wrong! Love the stats and pics. I'm really curious to see some info on when certain students hit milestones. I am pretty sure that there are a few in one of my classes that hit everything early and it clearly is not showing now....You know what I'm talking about...Anyway, he is precious!